hey guys just wanted to know what would be the easiest way to catch and transport my barra hes in a 6x3x2.5 and hes 65cm long, this is the second time ive had to move him, the last time i had to move him i ran into trouble trying to remove him from the tank safely, i tried using a towel last time but was to strong he started stressing out big time and in the end i had to use a landing net which wasnt the smartest idea.

If you get the dosage right, Clove Oil is probably the best thing to use. I have removed over 20 assorted natives from a 4000L pond using clove oil, Toga's, Cod, Bass, JP's everything.

It can be dangerous stuff though, i cant remmeber the dosage :/, it was about 4 years ago...

Seph

I'd say go for the towel method again.

What I would do. And it's a two man job.

While tank is full, lay towel in bottom of tank. Drain tank with fish in it. When you get close to empty, nudge fish above the towel and keep in position and finish draining the tank.

Have a large tub ready and half filled with tank water. You can buy a decent size tub at Bunnings. Up to you if you get a lid for it. Personally I would.

Once tank is emptied, wrap large fish in the towel and lift in to the tub. Put the lid on the tub. You could leave one corner ajar so air gets in and out. Should take the two of you to carry tub and fish to car, then transport, where ever.

I would have the new tank only a quarter full at destination. My thinking is, easier to lift fish in almost empty tank. Then fill tank once fish is in new tank.

Do a google search for AquiS, it is the commercially used product which is pretty much clove oil with a few additives to aid dissolving it in water. There should be an MSDS sheet for it and usage guidelines that will give you the dose rates to nearly put it to sleep for catching then a week solution to reduce transport stress. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I have a paper copy somewhere.

Fish recover pretty quick when put back in clean water, so if it looks like it is going down too hard, pull it out and put in clean water and should recover in 10 minutes. We use it to put to sleep everything from large eels, mullet, bass, cod etc and we use 1 ml per 100 liters roughly and keep adding 0.5 ml every 10 min until the desired sleepiness is achieved, which for us is total immobility. They all recover in clean water after 10 min.