I have read that archerfish need brackish water to be kept however when I have seen them for sale in various LFS they are kept in freshwater usually in tanks with other freshwater species connected to their rack systems.

So my question is if they are being kept in freshwater by the LFS is there any reason why I could not also keep them in fresh?

If I really do require brackish is it as simple as adding a couple handfuls of salt to the tank?

Will this be harmful to any other fish I may like to keep the archers with?

Last question do archers prefer to be kept in schools/groups?

I've always had my archers in fresh and they have thrived. I've also put salt in my rainbow tanks that have other small natives to kill off parasites and prevent parasites and the fish were all fine too. Natives are pretty hardy.

i've caught 35cm archerfish in full freshwater out at a farm dam near mt isa, no idea how they got there but there are some monsters in that dam and they seem to be thriving so i would assume theres no problem at all keeping them in total fresh.

The Aussies

T.chatareus can be kept for life in freshwater and do well in brackish they breed in both.

T. jaculatrix ok in fresh as juvies but do better in brackish as adults and should be kept in brackish as adults, they spawn in brackish/salt.

T. kimberleyensis are strictly freshwater as are T. lorentzi.

T. microlepsis which you occasionally find mixed in with the imported T. jaculartrix (the only species on the allowable import list)

also ok in fresh as juvies but brackish as adults.