Hi all,

Decided to setup a little native tank in a 4footx18"x20". Thought that I would base the tank around archers. I am not sure how many to get (1-4?) and what other natives could go with them.

I am keen to get a barra or toga but they would get way to big for my tank, if I were to get a bigger tank how do the barra and toga go with archers?

Besides these two what natives could go with a archers? I am thinking Gudgeons. Any other suggestions?? I don't know many native species so I am keen to know what else is out there....

jungle perch, jade perch, coal grunter? Too aggressive?

Cheers.

Archers make one of the best live baits for catching barra! They are awesome bait! I'd go with rainbows as tank mates but expect the odd one to get eaten

I am running a couple of archers with rainbows without a problem. Anything that is bigger than the archers mouth should survive.

Mono argentus are pretty cool and a cat or sooty at the bottom of the tank would go ok.

Thanks for your suggestions guys,

I am thinking about 3 archers, a couple of jade perch or coal grunter, maybe silver dollars - if not mono argentus, a couple of purple spotted gudgeon if they don't get eaten and I am thinking 2 mouth almightly - maybe instead of the perch/grunter.

Anyone know where to get mouth almighty - cant find a lot about them, how large would they get?

Mouth almighty can eat anything they can fit in their (considerably large) mouth. I would steer clear of any grunters as you are more than likely going to end up with just a grunter and everything else dead. I know some other folks have recommended sooties etc, but those with happy community experiences with grunters would be the exception rather than the norm (unless the community is all larger or aggressive as well).

If you intend keeping the archers as the main feature, I'd go with rainbows as tankmates. Despite peoples experience where barra etc have lived with their archers, the barra or other fish will become the feature (if not for size alone). Keep the tankmates small and peaceful and your archers will be the focus.

Just my opinion :)