rosequoll

DIY fish food and advice for the next attempt?

Made some fish food for Tadpole today, he loved it but it's not 'gelling' the way I would have liked. Trying to work out if I didn't add enough agar (used that rather than gelatine) or if agar is just not ideal for the job. I have some ideas for next time (bringing the agar to a boil on the stove then folding in the blended 'goop' INTO the pot of boilig agar and water) but looking for suggestions. =)

Should I use gelatine next time? Does it 'hold' better? It seems to clump a bit in water but does come apart fairly easy. I'm wanting something with the consistency of 'fish fuel' blocks.

In this attempt:

de-fatted beef heart

WHOLE green prawn (shell and head and all)

squid

mussel

high quality algae wafers (couldn't afford spirulina this time)

leftover Sera flora flake

Seachem garlic guard (mmm, yummy)

(ps, blendered squid smells exactly like you'd think. Erp)

And a video of Tadpole's vote: "Nomnom!"

Rose I don't think gelatine will be the answer, I read somewhere else recently that gelatine is not as firm, which makes since if you think about a bowl of jelly, it breaks apart pretty easily. Maybe bump up the agar ratio a bit more. Also I wouldn't recommend mixing in the food to the boiling hot agar as it might partly cook the food. Maybe warm the food and mix in with warm agar. Will be keen to hear how you go with it.

Yeah, maybe boil, allow to cook slightly then mix it. Agar firms up at anything below 50c so it still needs to be 'hot', just not boiling.

Will use this food for a while, and once I run low I'll try the thicker agar. I'm testing the water 24 hours after each feed to make sure I'm not overloading the filter with messy food. The flock of gudgeons helps with cleanup though.

I've had similar results with my homemade food using gelatine. If you restrict your feeding to small pieces at a time then, as you say, the other little dudes can act as clean up. I found this technique works well, and it makes you slow down with the feeding process (which is more enjoyable to watch anyhow) so it's win-win.

I get home from work on Wednesday. I can send you my recipe if you'd like, but it is pretty similar to yours from memory.

Maybe you could try very small batches of mix at different ratios of ingredients (particularly the gel agent). I was considering doing this myself to try and find the right mix for the desired consistency.

Cheers,

Nige

Edited by noyakfat
more info