i guess it was inevitable that i was going to eventually make a stupid mistake that was going to cost me....turned the house on to jus top up the sump and heard the dog run away so chased after her and by the time i got her back i was late to a course and had forgotton about the hose :(

so by the time i got home last nite a full day of chlorinated water running through my system my poor little fishes had no chance :( a colony of mpimbwe fronnies and around 40 tropheus all dead :(

guess im jus thankful that my stupid mistake didnt happen when i was keeping multiple wc tanks

worst thing was the mrs was at home and said when i got home "gee i heard a hose going u didnt leave it on did you" too my anger i wasnt in a good mood when i heard that :(

so everyone dont forget about the hose lol

damn heavy loss...feel ya pain mate...and when I hear this stuff...just makes me even more cautious everytime that hose goes on....I guess i should be thankful I have to fight the hose from the beginning anyways(seems to have a mind of its own)...so I wouldnt trust leaving it anyways...

Ouch!!

I have had a water filter attached directly to my hose ever since the council started going haywire with chlorine during the floods

For the $100 it cost, it has probably saved my ass more than I care to think about- (minimal maint. replace the filter once a year or when water flow slows down)

Not exactly same as this pictured but similar- be sure to get the insert that removes chlorine if you get one

h.t.h's

bigblue.jpg

Feel your pain, buddy. Had my share of hoses left running over the years :( On the bright side, it was one hose accident too many that finally convinced my wife to let me set up a sparate fishroom for my tanks many many years ago :) And she did eventually learn to recognise that a hose running when I'm not home or water running out under the fishroom door, or funny slurping sounds coming from the fishroom all mean she should call me urgently.

Cheers, Doug

Ouch!!

bigblue.jpg

Be careful with these, I would check the water coming through them at least once a month, I had one that released ALOT of phosphates into the water after only 6 months.

Be careful with these, I would check the water coming through them at least once a month, I had one that released ALOT of phosphates into the water after only 6 months.

Orly? What filter cartridge were you using?

thanks guys yeh the misses got some choice wrds but all good was my fault, worse thing is she is pretty cluey in the past with the noises in the fishroom so usually she calls me if the sump runs low or something but not this time, all good things happen for a reason might be something better :)

Orly? What filter cartridge were you using?

It was a water master 2533/343 Batch 233117.............. Buggered if I know, it was a few years ago, nearly killed off one of my tropheus tanks.

Did the exact same thing about 10 years ago.

Started to do water change put hose in sump and turned it on.

Got called away and forgot about it, wiped out over 1000 fish back then.

Learnt not to do it again and fixed it so it will never happen again.

Went and bought cheap $10 timer for hose, you know the type. Set a time and hose turns off automatically.

Also invested in carbon filter for inlet of hose but found water flow too restrictive so disconnected it.

These day I drain all my tanks first then neutralise then fill.

I set the time to 30 minutes and I have never lost a fish to chlorinated water since.

Graeme.

yep i think alot of people have done it,i lost about $500 worth of my tangs from the same thing.it was very hard to get my head around ...how much i stuffed up..

got back on my horse... and got myself a tap timer and its worth the $15 compared to the loss of ya fish...

get a tap timer hth

cheers marty

Very sorry to hear. :(My solution was to join a few 44s together and use em for water holding tanks. I put a 10 000l sump pump in them and use them to fill all my tanks with. A tap on some grey water hose and I can walk from one to the other. Chlorine will gas out of tanks in 24 hours but chloramines a nasty buggers. It gives me a bit of leeway timewise tho when (not if) I have those disasters. Learnt to neutralise the 44s regardless now after losing couple tanks of specialty corys tho:(