andyp

Whats your favorite biofilter media!!!

K3-new-600x600.jpg&c=resize&p=190x300

K1

because lets face it

the stuff changes the game forever

why worry about surface area alone

when the bacteria culture is gonna fill it in a month

and its just gonna decrease from then on.

Only K1 keeps the bacteria culture young

and vigorous

combine that with epic surface area

and you have biological filtration the likes of which we have never had available to us before.

that and I love filters I can run from my LP60

screw you power bill!

I have air power!

Age of Aquariums - K1 Kaldnes 50 Litres

How it is different to other media

As the Kaldnes media moves within the filter, it causes the old dead bacteria on the outside to be displaced. This makes space for new younger heavier feeding bacteria to rapidly colonise. Within the wheel is a protected surface which enables colonies of bacteria to naturally follow their lifecycle, of maturing, dying and then fueling the latter stages of the nitrification cycle. Kaldnes has been designed to provide the best possible habitat for both young and mature beneficial bacterial colonies.

What is meant by 'self cleaning'?

Unlike foam, matting, or other forms of static filtration media, the Kaldnes K1/K3 media is designed to move freely within your filter. The constant chaotic movement of the air from your pump, causes the media to self clean and thus requires no maintenance. This allows the filter to reach optimum effectiveness without the disturbance of periodic cleaning, avoiding unnecessary loss of bacteria within the filter. 50 Litres of K1 media will handle up to 250 grammes of food per day and for K3, 225 grammes of food per day. For retrofit of existing filters, K3 media is the most suitable due to its larger size and ease of control.

Can this K1 be used in a trickle filter system, like what's in my aqua nova hood? Thinking of one side matrix one side k1

Sorry for hijack!

Bryan

Can this K1 be used in a trickle filter system, like what's in my aqua nova hood? Thinking of one side matrix one side k1

Sorry for hijack!

Bryan

Unfortunately no Bryan.

K1 requires constant agitation and fluid movement.

It can be used in a trickle filter, Paul from Earthangroup put a video of a trickle filter up on another thread but I couldn't find it sorry.

Unfortunately no Bryan.

K1 requires constant agitation and fluid movement.

That has always been the common conception but really like Paul mentions and shows in his trickle filer use and when you think about it what is the difference between bio balls and K1/Boss bio media other than surface area? - I had never really thought of using it in AR820 or 620 in the same way he did in a static method - it works, just was not thought of that way.

Wow that's cool. However, I was a bit lost with that video though. I still don't get how the trickle filter keeps the media seeded when essentially it's not moving. Surely this method can't be as effective, can it?