Hi all.

I've just been given a 3 foot tank and have always wanted cichlids. My questions are...

• Am I nuts for wanting to keep cichlids in a 3 footer?

• If not, what are some of the smaller types that might work well in a small tank?

I'm in the Brisbane are (south) and have already noticed some cichlid breeders not too far away in the trading section.

I spent the weekend washing out sand I picked up cheaply from the local landscape supplier, killed my back in the process, and now I think I've decided to go with gravel instead. I like the idea of sand but it sounds like gravel is easier to get the right mix of bacteria working. Ahh, the fun begins already :)

Cheers

63off

Welcome, like most, they start off with a tank and then they get the bug and tend to upgrade and get more tanks. Are you likely to do this? I am more of a catfish person but I do like nice electric yellows which might be ok but will leave it to the experts on here and there will be a few with good advise.

Hi matt,

On behalf of Members & the Moderation Team welcome to QLDAF.

Here at QLDAF we have lots of different sections for you to look at, and a wide range of members keeping almost everything you can imagine,

i see your into cichlids, we have a section just for them, http://www.qldaf.com/forums/african-...discussion-16/

we also have a great african cichlid section moderator called raycam01_au, if you need any help just send him a pm, i also love cichlids, but have sold most of them,

Also When you have the time please spend a minute to read the following; if you haven't already,

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/qld-live-stock-53/trading-section-guidlines-62965/

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/general-forum-rules-58881/

we look forward to you posting and joining in one of the best forums around,

if you need any help working out the forum, feel free to ask either myself or any one of the great moderating team

Regards

QLDAF Moderation Team.

Welcome, like most, they start off with a tank and then they get the bug and tend to upgrade and get more tanks. Are you likely to do this? I am more of a catfish person but I do like nice electric yellows which might be ok but will leave it to the experts on here and there will be a few with good advise.

Hahaha yes, of course I am. Unfortunately though I don't really have anywhere to put them, except maybe the spare bedroom.........

Thanks for the welcome.

Hahaha yes, of course I am. Unfortunately though I don't really have anywhere to put them, except maybe the spare bedroom.........

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome mate:) haha spare bedroom! We call those "the fish room" :) enjoy your spiral into fish addiction it's a fun ride!

hey mate ..welcome...just curious..what types of cichlids were you looking at...africans?..or americans,etc?....and how wide is your 3 ft?....might be a big 3ft or a small 3ft :) sure this will help some people get an idea and start to offer some opinions on some great fish to have in there...either way take care and enjoy mate...

Oops! Yes I should have been more specific. I'm looking at african's and the tank is 15' wide x 17 1/2 high. Fish I've been considering are Electric yellows, yellow tailed acei, hongi. I've also started considering a single species tank of saulosi.

Anybody care to donate a 6 footer? I'd love an oscar ;)

Sand is now out...well 99% of it is and I've got some 3mm coral sand. Back to breaking the back washing.

I've also started considering a single species tank of saulosi.

At one stage I had about 20 tanks

ALL full of saulosi

lol

thousands of them!

They are a good fish

and an excellent species to learn the ropes with.

Well suited to that tank size too

AND look good over coral sand.