kikrman

sump size for a 6x3x2

Hey everyone just bought a new tank and was wondering what size stump would be sufficient. I have a 4x15x18 sump which is running on another tank atm and can use this once I shut the tank down. Obviously bigger is better but whether its necessary is another thing? I'm happy to go bigger was thinking a 4X2x2 just want to hear your thoughts. They are large fish, not over stocked and feeding small amounts of food once a day.

Cheers,

Luke

thats way overkill for a sump,

i have a 4x2x2 sump

it has 2 8x2x700, 2 6x2x2 1 8x15x2 2 2x2x18 and an ibc and still is nowhere near overflowing when the power goes out, it all depends on where you have the bulkheads and water level in the tanks

thats way overkill for a sump,

i have a 4x2x2 sump

it has 2 8x2x700, 2 6x2x2 1 8x15x2 2 2x2x18 and an ibc and still is nowhere near overflowing when the power goes out, it all depends on where you have the bulkheads and water level in the tanks

musnt have much media in it then if all that can over flow into a 4x2x2?? , also depends on how much area or you sump is taken up by your baffles and media. i have a 5x15x18 sump on my 8x2x2.5 and when i cut the power im left with just on 2 inches from over flowing.

Edited by guest 11

mr ray is also spot on!

ive got 2 sheets of jap mat 2mx1m

1500 bio balls,

15kgs coral

20litres of matrix,

100 coral balls/disks

andthere was something else but its evading my memory..

roughly drains 190-200 litres of water from tanks when power goes out,

this means unless sump is over half full when running its never going to go close to over flowing,

its all in the maths ;o)

Edited by -bender-

I understand bigger is better for the biological side if things. I worked out the 4X15x18 I have already running will be sufficient as it comes down to the height of the bulkheads as blender said. Brings costs down considerably as I'd need to buy the tank, more media, matting and eggcrate. I have to increase the height of the stand as is to fit a sump underneath so a 4x15 will be more practical.