Daharkazangel

pros and cons of sand as a substrate

Thinking of converting my tanks to sand. Never used sand before and my 75gal is heavily planted (mostly java fern, anubius, swords and cryts) just chasing opinions on here. Ive heard said gathers bad gases etc and is hard to syphon? Opinions? Pros and cons? Basically is it worth it?

I hated every minute I had sand. with big fish I had it just ended up everywhere! trying to clean up after rthe I would suck out heaps of it, end up in filter, gets blown around. didn't like.

A really fine aragonite crush wired heaps better for me....

If you go down that road just by play sand from bunting & whats the absolute **** outa it!

good luck, sand substrate does look super sweet!

If you go sand, find the coarsest stuff you can find!

The real fine stuff traps gas if it is to thick and finds its way into your pumps and wears out the impellor (ie. shortens the lifespan of your pump)

Bunnings play sand is like $5 for 20kg's but it is fine as....

h.t.h

i put playground sand from bunnings into my 5x2x2.its the first time i've used sand , and it will be the last.don't get me wrong,it looks great,but it shifts around way too easily.it does get into filters even when the pickups are raised(wouldnt be an issue if you were using sponges only i guess...)and my pleco's are always covered in it!!lol(gotta look twice to make sure they dont have whitespot)just my opinon,but i think coarser subrstates are way more practical.once i get motivated again and get some more of these 31 tanks running again,i'll get rid of the sand from my loungeroom display.hth chris

here is a couple of pics with Fraser Island white sand and tahition moon sand I think sand is easy to use as long as you don't make the base over 2 inch.

Bunnings play sand is **** (cheap and nasty you get what you pay for) if you ask me looks to brown for my liking I perfer Fraser Island white sand as it is one of the whitest sands that you can get and looks alot cleaner in the tank.

shopfitout034.jpg

walls004-2.jpg

Edited by Druid

I like my tanks to look natural like a pristine creek beds so i always use coarse river sand from local landscape yard, plants boom and it's cheap as chips. the white sand can look nice but is to fake looking for my liking and as said above gets sucked up and kills filters.

Edited by Benjamin.
wrote fine insted of coarse,i call it fine but mate that owns landscape yard calls it coarse..opps :)

I've got.....

bunnings play sand....looks great lovely and white. Does move easily if you have high filter flow. Tis a downright pain to initial wash and annoying to vacuum anywhere near it

Course river sand....A light tank colour not as stark as the above. Doesnt move anywhere as easily as above. Still need to be careful of sucking it up when vacuuming

PFS....LOVE IT, as a rescape all my tanks this is what will be replacing any other sand type, plants grow in it, does not compact, and it can be vacuumed the same as gravel. Does not move around at all, ya stir it it drops back very quickly

Hate sand. I can never get the balance right..enough flow to move anything off the bottom equals bald spots on the tank bottom,or craters where everything collects anyway, and not enough flow equals cr#p sitting there, which stands out on sand and looks bad..and I'm way too lazy to siphon every day.

I dont remember what brand tahitian moon is off the top of my head, but I'd class it fine gravel rather than sand. Comes in most colours and that'd be as fine as I'd go unless doing geos or cories or something.

does it generally need much of a wash?

Im guessing not if you can add it straight to your pool filter.

Its clean from the get go, maybe a little bit of dust but nothing like play sand.

I always wash everything that goes into my tanks anyway but I think you could get away without washing it.

Pros:

* Doesn't collect detritus

* Looks great

* Fish love it

* Looks clean

* Cheap

* Usually no need to vac

Cons:

* Collects gas if too fine

* Gets all up in your impeller's grill

* Can get under the magnetic algae cleaner and scratch the glass

* Can blow around the tank, and go on everything

That's about all I can think of at the moment...

BUT, I reckon go for it, it's second after bare to me.

does it generally need much of a wash?

Im guessing not if you can add it straight to your pool filter.

yer its just like prewashed aquarium gravel still pretty dirty, the reason its good is that its meant for a fluid bed filter so it has to sink immediately