something that high i'd fix to the wall behind....i don't trust dirty old pine with that much weight on it...i prefer galvinised steel..strong/won't buckle or bow/and won't rot.

i'm guessing you believe a steel stand won't fall over, i'm my opinion that stand won't fall over unless you swing on it, look at the base...........

also steel can bow/bend, and rust........... well maybe not gal steel, but if you weld it then it can,

i really think it depends on what you like, what your happy with and as said above,

i use timber as its cheaper and last longer than i will ever have a rack set up

If your going to have it setup for a long period of time tube steel welded with a antirust coat is the way to go IMO, will last longer then timber. If you keep timber wet or it simply doesnt have the chance to dry out it will rot, but will do the job just fine for shorter periods of time. If you seal the timber properly there is no reason why it shouldnt last though.

you're either a steel or timber man!

one benefit of steel over timber is that the rack is smaller

e.g. you can use from half inch sqare (depending on span etc), whereas with timber your mimumum is 2x4 (so 35x75) - you'd do this with the 75mm side facing you (like the pic above) - so that distance needs to be taken into consideration in the horizontals and space between tanks.

I like working with timber and can't weld to save myself, so for anything up to 4 ft I'd go timber stand....I'm also a fan of pallet racking - from 4 ft and up - and you can take it apart etc!

If you can get it I would go hardwood timber, bolted together so you can dismantle to move.

Advantages, no rust in hardwood, ants can't sneak in the wood like steel to build nests and termites sneaking up the back can't get a decent hold on hardwood as easily as pine. Hardwood is also pretty well moisture resistant as well. 3 tier yes, add a bracket to the wall behind. Amazing how much you pull on the top when fiddling with the top tier.

don't want to be a smart @#s, just to clear up that 2x4 is not 35 x 75, but 50.8x101.6,not having a crack, but for ppl that might go to buy this material to work with, might sound silly at the suppliers,or think they have been given the wrong stuff when they say the 2 measurements.hth.and in my opinion(for what its worth...)just work with the material that you are most confident and competent to work with when making stands or anything else for that matter.doesnt matter how long you plan to keep it for....it has to work and be safe for however long,then also for the next poor bugger that buys or inherits it from you! lol Chris