samo

Need Cherry Shrimp advice

Hey guys just looking for some advice on keeping cherry reds.

At the moment I've got them in about a 20L tank with a sponge filter. Are they going to need a hang on filter or anything? And what sort of flow do they like? I've got the sponge cranked right up at the moment and It creates a nice bit of flow in the tank.

Also they don't seem to be moving much at all. I thought they were susposed to move around a bit.

Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers.

I've only kept cherries briefly before (as a supplementary food source for my Americans in a past tank). I ran a larger tank (2ft x 18" x 18") with a couple of sponge filters on a small air pump, but that's only because that is what I had on hand.

The shrimp were fine in that environment. They actually create extremely low bioload to the overall tank environment and a sponge filter should easily handle their output (the limiting factor here will likely be your feeding regime). Mine did move around, but they certainly weren't as active or exciting as the Crusty Demons :)

Just checked the temp and it was a tad cold. On about 20 degrees so I threw a heater in and set it to 25 degrees. Hopefully with a bit of warmth the little critters will breed like crazy. Some of them will be used as food for apistos :)

Also they don't seem to be moving much at all. I thought they were susposed to move around a bit.

During daytime, my cherry's aren't that active(you'll see some 'swim' across and move around); however when the lights are out, they are extremely active, they all come out

I currently have cherry's housed in a 60L and a 20L.

The 60L uses a internal filter, and the 20L uses a HOB filter(that's on full flow). Any filter will do, however, with regards to rate, I'm not sure, they aren't that picky anyways.

Yeah, and the thing is the shrimplets are EXTREMELY small, about 3mm(if you are lucky to see them).

Best to have dense plants(such as mosses) so that they can go there.(this is necessary if you have other fish in the tank, for example I currently house mine with blue rams)

In a few months time, you'll have hundreds.

Also, you may see the shell of some cherry shrimps, those ARE NOT dead, they are just molting.

I usually leave the molts in the tanks, as the shrimps will eat them.

They're just in a tank by themselves. It'll be cool when there are little babies swimming around. Originally I got them as a food source for my apistos but they're kinda cute. I dunno maybe I'll feed a few a week and just breed the rest