Dexter

Help with Breeding Blue Rams

My Blue Rams laid again tonight. The last batch turned white. I assume they were not fertilized.

Is there any way to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to these lot?

I did a water change this morning, before they laid. I could see they were looking mighty interested in getting their freak on. Because I wanted to make sure the water was as clean as possible and didn't want to disturb after they laid.

Here as some stats.

Tank - 2x1.5x1.5

Sponge filter w/4LPM air pump<<I think

PH - 6.5

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Temp - 27-28

W/C - 20% every week with Rain/Tank Water.

Male - 5-6cm

Female 4ish cm

No other tank mates

Edited by Dexter

If I read correctly this was there first spawn. It can take a few goes to get it right. I would suggest being patient first.

I think what Daydream is suggesting is that pure rainwater is too pure. Mixing town water and tank water can give you more stable conditions. I would not be reaching for any products at this stage, but just give it time.

If it is a constant issue then you need to look at it, and be aware that male Rams can have fertility issues.....

This is their second go at it. I do remember reading to "Be Patient".......easier said than done, I was so exactly when they laid the first time and even more so this time. :s

So how to I "Mix" Townwater with Tank water? just Half-half in a Bucket w/Prime?

Infertility issues???? I hope not :(. I have been searching for a Female he would like for about 6months and He LOVES this one...to the point where I had to sell my other male Rams, he beat up 2 M-Blue Rams and 3 Electric Blue..one of which he killed the second or third day I had them..

They take turns in guarding them. Picking off the white ones as they notice them. Last time this happened until they were all gone. Hopefully this time we will be lucky. I have only noticed about 10 white eggs so far.

If they are a terra cotta colour they are fertilized.

They may be getting bored and leaving them or eating them.

They will pick it up, when they do you will be up to your neck in ram fry.

My old pair used to spawn every 1.5-2 weeks.

Edited by Mathobes
Spwelling

The next issue can be the female. for some reason the girls tend to be less maternal than expected, and commonly the female will start eating the eggs. If she is you may be better removing her after the deed and letting the Male take care of things being a Mr. Mom.....

I will check the colour when I get home. But from memory they were cleary/cream colour. And yeah their last spawn was about a week and a bit.

Hopefully they pick it up. If not its cool. They look amazing when they are in their breeding colors