pauljones82

I bought a guppy male instead of a molly male.

A couple of months ago i went to billabong at yamanto and purhased a balloon molly and i accidently pointed to a guppy male as well instead of a male molly to dance with my sailfin mollies.I‘ve noticed the guppy is dancing with all the sailfins ,my question is “ is there any problem with cross breeding them?“

Hmmmmmmmmmm...look what i found....seems it isn't unheard of...although most sources say its not possible...but take a look at these guys.....think this could be very interesting paul...this person has a 6ft full of guppies and mollies and started noticing mollies (gollies;)) that looked like this:

pics008-2.jpg

pics007-1.jpg

pics005-2.jpg

if you look at the pics too mate...you'll notice some are heading towards guppy body shapes too...so could possibly be a chance at creating giant guppies in there somewhere.....hmmmmmmmm interesting;)

I have a batch of molly/guppy/golly/muppy fish in my tank. A green molly male mated with a blue guppy female. I have pics posted previously here. The offspring were quite plain/ugly - a larger/shorter guppy shape, no body colouring and yellow tails. While the male guppies try and mate with them (most the fry were females), I have yet to see a 2nd generation (yet). So can't confirm if they are sterile (like mules) or not. I'd not be surprised to see more hybridisation (as they share a tank with other guppies and mollies).

Blurry pic I know, but it shows from the bottom up: a random female guppy, a small juvenile female green molly, and at the top, a muppy/golly:

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/attachments/livebearers-including-guppies-mollies-platies-swords-etc-33/20172d1338635986-my-green-blue-muppy-gollies-img_0273-jpg

Edited by Lasher
Added pic from previous post

I was reading the combo worked with male guppy/female molly...and the male offspring get all the nice colouring...female offspring keeping original colours with some "speckling" of new colour...similar to guppy genetics it seems....thought the female guppy would have a hard time raising half molly sized babies(size of live offspring in stomach etc)..so the male guppy to female molly also seemed and easier combo....maybe have a go at the combo Lasher ;)

From what I have read, you can have a muppy/gollie cross but it only works for first generation.

The offspring are usually sterile and i havent seen any reports of second generations. You never know though.

Would be interesting to see what the cross throws, please put up pics if you have any success.

They are actually reasonable common, just not picked up on most the time.

The keys and locks of guppy/mollie........ fit, if ya get my drift.

On the other hand, its rare to see a platy or swordtail these days thats not a sword/platy cross.

So i came home today to find 9 massive newborn orange and black mollies with extra tail fin they look different to the balloon and sailfin babies they are double the size of the other 50 mollies