Jutsto83

Drilling tank for a canister?

Hi there,

I have a 3 foot tank approx 270l with 10mm glass and would like to drill 2 holes in the back of the tank for inlet and outlet, i would like to have a cleaner look to my tank but I have herd that it is not a good idea, I would like to hear from anyone who has done it and was it successful, any pics of plumbing into the tank would be good too.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers Justin

Hi Justin,

I did this on my 8x2x2 tank and it worked very well. I was a chicken and had someone else drill the tank for me, but there are many folks on this forum whom have done it themselves. There are a few good videos on youtube showing you how to do it (or someone from the forum may come and do it for you if you ask nicely). I chose bulkhead fitting sizes that allowed me to connect to the existing hoses of my Eheim canisters. It worked a treat.

I have the photos of the setup on another hard drive and will have to go look for them, but will post them if I can locate them OK.

Cheers,

Nige

Justo, for a canister, I would not bother at all. not when a canister comes with spray bar & all hoses & connections, but if your heart is set on it & you need advice or a hand doing it hit me up mate, I'm only at wello point.

perfect pics there Mike! find out you canister tubing I.D (i.e. 19mm) then purchase 2 x bullheads of same size & have a look through buntings plumbing section for 90deg. fittings & parts to make spray bars & pick up, as you will not be able to gravity drain from a top hole being a canister

BAM 2K WORTH OF POSTING!!

Justo, for a canister, I would not bother at all. not when a canister comes with spray bar & all hoses & connections, but if your heart is set on it & you need advice or a hand doing it hit me up mate, I'm only at wello point.

Thanks for the reply's guys, Craigo i just may hit you up when the time comes:esmile:, I really do want to make the tank as clean as possible so am very keen to do it!

cheers Justin

I used to get 2 holes drilled in the base of 2 foot cubes.

That way I could have the intake and output hoses of a cannister, hidden by a central hollow log or lavarock.

and the cannister hidden in the cabinet.

used to trip people out

lol

would either be shocked I would keep such fish without a filter

or be confused about where the water movement was coming from.

The fittings shown in my photo are repeated at the other end of the tank (I used 2 x 2260 Eheim canisters)...

The return to the tank has an elbow at an angle upwards and I got exceptionally good surface agitation like this. However, it was the first time I have done it like this. My next tank I am going to use bulkheads to my canisters again, but will have the return to the tank at the surface level with a spray bar like Mike (cichlidwife) uses. I will also have the outlet to the filters at surface level, but with an extension down to the depth at which I want the strainer to sit.

post-2024-14711627087834_thumb.jpg

Edited by noyakfat
more info

I used to get 2 holes drilled in the base of 2 foot cubes.

That way I could have the intake and output hoses of a cannister, hidden by a central hollow log or lavarock.

and the cannister hidden in the cabinet.

used to trip people out

lol

would either be shocked I would keep such fish without a filter

or be confused about where the water movement was coming from.

Great idea Donny.

Will put that in the memory bank.

Now on a side note a checked out that thread and IS THAT DOG WEARING A NAPPY ??

=)