jabmel

Correct size for selling fish on the forum

The way I c it even if your told that the fish is 3-4 cm and when u get there they are only 2cmu as the buyer have the right to say no thanks the fish are to small for me and walk away but If u buy them Knowing that they are smaller then stated u have no right to complain if or when they die.

I have just had a batch of bn fry hatch now I won't b selling them untill they are at least 4 cm long no matter how long it takes them to get to that size even if it means I need a 6 ft tank to hold all my fry so b it

Might be going out on a limb here but dont fish come in different sizes depending on species.

Some are geriatrics at 4cm(or have carked it) some are still in daddys mouth with the yolk sac at 4cm.

things go both ways,

i advertised my princess fry at 2cm to 3cm, they don't grow fast or very big, these were 4 months old, had a buyer come around and look at them and then ask for bigger fry, i told him i only had what was advertised, he said, " i was hoping you would have some bigger ones " he left with no fish, and i was happy with that, if you can't read the thread then i'm happy to sell you nothing, so sometimes buyers can expect to much and think that everybody has bigger fry then stated, :)

I to agree with Donny, I have sold bulk lots of fry at 2.5cms for cheaper prices. The buyers are well aware of the sizes of the fry in the negotiations before the deal is done. For the simple reason I sell fry smallish , is that I don't have the room to grow out the fry to 5 cms or bigger, and the people who usually want the large fry , are to skungy to pay the extra money for them, and want em as cheap as the smaller fish, even tho , its taken another couple of months of food and everything else that goes with raising fish, for no extra. I also reckon smaller fry travel /aclimatize better at a smaller size, instead of there larger versions. Just my opinion only.

not long ago i had a well know goose turn up on site to buy 10 yellows that were a easy 6cm , the clown wanted to argue that they were 4 cm . i asked him if he wanted them @ the agreed $4 each he offered me $2 . I grabed them out of the bucket and fed them to my dog whilst his jaw hit the floor then told him to push off as he was now tresspassing .

many ways to skin a cat , no doubt that twit wont bother me again

I can remember a time where fish where not sold or traded until they where at suitable size for example you could not buy a discus that was smaller than a tennis ball, the result from sales of larger juvies was that breeders retained better prices and buyers received more robust fish. Over the years I witnessed the progression of smaller and smaller fish for sale with the idea of "quick turn over". There where always a few breeders who would sell off mass amounts of juvies/ fry to other breeders who would then grow out the stock but there was very little chance to see undersized fish in retail shops and Aquarium based clubs would not allow unless fish where to reasonable sizes in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth (I can not comment on other states as I did not have much to do with these until recently).

The fact is buyers are expecting more and offering less in a lot of cases and also the amount of miss represented stock that is partly to blame due to undersized sales is also becoming more and more common, I was taught many years ago that if you have not researched it then DON'T buy it and just because someone is a breeder does not mean they are a expert or know what they have. So in the end it comes down to buyers responsibility and if you know fish are undersized Don't buy them unless you can raise them. If fish are not what they seem then don't buy them and don't buy fish unless you have done your research.

Cheers

John

I'd love to see a minimum size enforced,as this would lead to more abnormalities being picked up before sale..but in reality, there will always be some wing nut somewhere finding a way around any rule you try to implement. Caveat emptor.

NOn of my fish leave here unless they are 4cm body length minimum,(dwarf species are an exception). What I mean by body length is tip of nose to base of tail. When sorting I seperate them into 2 buckets larger definately over 4cm and smaller I then measure by hand all the smaller ones to see for sure. Anything under goes back into grow out anything 4cm or above goes to the sale.

This way they have a better rate of survival and all deformities are seen and culled no questions.

Just to add to this I fully agree with goneself in the fact that when fish are sold they should be of a certain size to help identify potential abnormalities and these have been made less important than the value.... It also comes back to the buyers as I have said time and time again "RESEARCH" your buys and it is amazing the amount of people who will spend large amounts on fish they really no nothing about and then when someone who has done research does look at there fish and questions the quality the most common reaction is to blame the seller and there is little or few who will take responsibility for NOT checking.

So a great exercise to do is before looking at adding anything to your tanks is to stop and look through your own tanks and make sure you have Quality and then look to buy Quality. I have seen threads time and time again where people have sold "NOT 100% quality fish" and yet by doing this there is no way certain that whomever they sell these fish to are going to keep them forever or are not going to on sell them in the future. It all comes back to making sure you know what you have and know what you are buying.

Be a responsible buyer and more importantly a informed seller and if you do buy something that turns out to be not what you expected ....... look at your self before looking at the seller because no one forces you to buy there fish and take responsibility for not doing the ground work.

If you are going to get into breeding fish then make sure you have the tank space to "GROW" them out and don't think that it is a quick turn around as many fish take 4-6 months to grow to sellable sizes. Be responsible for your fish and the sale and purchase of them and in return you will be rewarded and so will the longevity of this great industry.

Regards

John

I to agree with Donny, I have sold bulk lots of fry at 2.5cms for cheaper prices. The buyers are well aware of the sizes of the fry in the negotiations before the deal is done. For the simple reason I sell fry smallish , is that I don't have the room to grow out the fry to 5 cms or bigger, and the people who usually want the large fry , are to skungy to pay the extra money for them, and want em as cheap as the smaller fish, even tho , its taken another couple of months of food and everything else that goes with raising fish, for no extra. I also reckon smaller fry travel /aclimatize better at a smaller size, instead of there larger versions. Just my opinion only.

Theres a real myth that africans, espec malawi fry, are delicate when small. lol

Tell that to the rogue 1cm fry that survive in tanks you have emptied to 1cm deep and removed filters and heaters from during moving house!

Just to add to this I fully agree with goneself in the fact that when fish are sold they should be of a certain size to help identify potential abnormalities

Every time I go thru EVERY SINGLE fish in a fry tank and do a cull.......... the price per fish doubles.

Its effort. Its stressful on the fish. And kneeling in the fish shed bent over sorting basins for hours is not how I like to spend my days off.

The reason batches of small fish are often cheap is because they have not been sorted/culled over.

You buy 100 X 1cm fish and when they get to 4cm you notice a few are not perfect

so you catch them out

and cull them

thats how we do it in fish world!

if however you end up with 100 MONG fish at 4cm

well you post pictures of them on the internet

and destroy the breeders cred

IF they dont play ball and work out a solution for you.

heck its all risk

if you are not down for risk

then buy bigger fish.

but as I said earlier......

I would buy eggs if I could and they were cheap lol

And in reality, if you can't tell a mutant fish at 2.5cms , then what hope have you got at 4-5cms. I mean, a dedicated fisho , goes through their fry , before hand , so no mutants can be passed on.

Today 10:59 AM #1

jabmel

Dec 2010

Narangba

For sale cichlids Demasoni and red zebs

For sale cichlids Demasoni and red zebs

Type of fish/goods:- (1) Demasoni and (2)pulu point red zebra

Sex(if known):- both

Size/Rating: (1) 2.5 cm + (2) 3.0 cm +

Breeding:- no

Qty:-Lots of 5 ($20 each)

Price:- Lots of 5 ($20 each)

Shipping Y/N:- pick up only

Comments

Text or PM

1st in gets the bigger fish

I dont understand.

I dont understand.

I am watching this carefully. Please be warned.

Ben may have changed his practice following this discussion, he may be underestimating the size of the fish for sale. Either way the forum has a recomendation on sales size, not a rule. It is a case of buyer be aware!

Gentlemen - Ginger has provided some sound advice.

I will add that an adult demasoni is a smallish cichlid anyway to which a 4-5cm fry guideline would not be applicable.

Anyways let's all move on and enjoy our fishkeeping.

Thanks all

Peter

Gentlemen - Ginger has provided some sound advice.

I will add that an adult demasoni is a smallish cichlid anyway to which a 4-5cm fry guideline would not be applicable.

Anyways let's all move on and enjoy our fishkeeping.

Thanks all

Peter

thanks Peter

dem's breed at 2.5 to 3 cm.

:mad:Hi all

Trading rules state

*QLDAF recommend that fish sold are of a 'saleable size'. Saleable size generally means 4 cm_ (from tip of nose to end of tail) - except of course for smaller fish / dwarf species (<4 cm). ben

I am watching this carefully. Please be warned.

Ben may have changed his practice following this discussion, he may be underestimating the size of the fish for sale. Either way the forum has a recomendation on sales size, not a rule. It is a case of buyer be aware!

mr Ginger, my pratice has NOT CHANGED please do research first on the fish I was selling they are a "SMALL BREED"

better watch closer as I will sell endelers soon, never seen and adult over 3 cm

some PPL on here have nothing better to do

Edited by jabmel

I don't understand either, dff. Wasn't he the one that started the winge in the first place about fish being to small to sell.

with the abover comments please do research to the fish size thanks