Coastalboy

KOI fish in QLD?

yeah its sad we cant but the natives benefit from it....pity the good fish keepers miss out due to the unknowledged or careless people....there are some really beautiful koi...but yep next best option would be some nice great big shubunkins or comets(I prefer big fantails and ryukins for something hardy & great to look at ;))...and you can get beautiful big guys...these guys can live for over 20 years...

I once knew an older couple who used to live in Stanthorpe (coldest place in all of Queensland) who were given some goldfish to look after while the owner went overseas for an extended time. The owner stayed overseas even longer than planned and the wife got sick of looking after them. She let them go in the local creek that runs through town (lovely little creek to walk around) because she didn't know what else to do with them. I was so shocked when she told me. 

It's people like that which cause the authorities to make rules and stick by them. Imagine that same older couple (who now live somewhere in Queensland much warmer) looking after someone's school of piranha for a while before getting sick of looking after them!?

Koi are wonderful and it's unfair that they're allowed in NSW and WA but not in Victoria or here. Rivers are overrun with carp in Victoria, so the horse has certainly already bolted so shutting the gate won't make any difference there. Not sure what rivers are like regarding carp in the warmer parts of Queensland. I was apparently born a Mexican (so my wife tells me) so I'm not familiar.