cram

Aus prices - aquarium gear.

So how come such a difference?

Example using the Tunze 6015 nanostream. Cheapest prices I could find...

Australia $49.50 (.au online shop)

Gemany $27 Euro (= $32) (german E-bay)

Difference = $17.50 (or over 50% of German price)

This is one example, I'm there are plenty more.

Does it all go to the middlemen/distributor/importer?

Edited by cram
wrong au price quoted (missed the 9)

meh we pay more than anywhere else in the world because of our location, nothing new really.

it costs more for our goods to get her than anywhere else in the world.

another good example is fishing gear,

a shimano CI4 stradic in the 2000 size over here you'll get stung anywhere from about $280 up, yet over in the states they sell them from $200 american, so even with shipping your still gonna be better off.

basically its our local that adds to the additional costs we see.

yea the distributer in the country adds on their costs. As mentioned though, they handle warranty claims which makes paying a bit more, much safer than grey importing.

There is often also the cost of different plugs = smaller production runs

smaller production runs of models for our market

means higher per unit cost

or if they have to be converted, even higher cost.

The other thing is the market of buyers is tiny in Australia

this means that suppliers cannot buy in MEGA bulk

and then get MEGA discounts

meaning they can charge less and still make more!

really australia is a tiny market

compared to the USA or China or Japan or Germany or the UK

we are lucky most aquarium suppliers even bother with selling their products here.

On the bright side

theres always bargains to be had if you keep ya eyes open!

Too true Donny which is also generally why preference may also be a contributing factor why some items are available over seas but not in Australia or why stock is also available overseas but not here.

Even if you look at just the plug itself the quantity that would be manufactured for say the US compared to Australia which then goes to cost of manufacturing.

Thanks for the advice procull...but the question was how come there is such a difference?

btw I forgot to take off the 19% VAT I save (as I don't live in the EU....so its only $26...)

surely the shipping cost to australia (i.e. in a container) does not double the price of the item?

there is GST here, but VAT in europe is also there (at 19%).

so adding a different plug at the factory and smaller production run...ok, an added cost perhaps (20c an item extra? would be interested (for curiousity) to get a figure on it)

another example:

schego heater:

controller 54 euro

600w heater 45 euro

shipping to Australia 40 euro

total - 140 euro = $165 (shipped) (without taking into account 19% VAT savings on item...)

aoa = $550 (or $495 with 10% discount)

Difference = $330

as cav mentioned though its not just electrical goods -

a friend bought some shoes - $240 here which were $80 cheaper landed here from the UK...

no different plugs, exactly the same item.

seriously, I just get the feeling that we're being fleeced...

Suppliers get better discounts when they buy 100,000 units of an item from a factory, as opposed to 100.

Much better discounts.

As I was saying the surprising thing is not that it costs us more, but that they bother with the Australian market at all.

Interesting though that its cheaper to import many items than buy australian made, all things included our wages are just that much larger than those in China for example.

Running a legitimate retail store in Australia is simply to expensive. We are over regulated / taxed and have no protection from grey imports. Wholesalers rarely pass on the improved Australian dollar so we are left fighting for 20 - 30% margins ( markup not GP ). When a consumer can purchase a single product from overseas for the same price we are paying for it wholesale their is something wrong. End of the day the wholesalers in Australia need to work on a decent margin as they are over regulated / taxed as well but the problem is also low population. Europe / USA are taxed at a much lower rate and have 10 times the turnover hence they can work on smaller margins. Ok now i am depressed. Time to sell up and reopen in Europe me thinks. At the end of the day it is all about volume people.

P.S the Schego we are selling is fitted in australia with a American Nema Thermostat. Not a fair comparison.

Edited by ageofaquariums

I know you mentioned aquarium gears. But please be aware NOT to buy food (although sealed and packed properly). I got stung and wasn't able to get some food (i.e. Hikari) stuff due to import regulation. The authorities seized what I bought for destruction. It's my fault as I didn't do much research and was blinded by the savings I can get - ended up with lost charged to experience.

By the way, some equipment have compatibility issues (i.e., voltage, standards) and you'll end up spending more.

We are over regulated / taxed

P.S the Schego we are selling is fitted in australia with a American Nema Thermostat. Not a fair comparison.

re the first point - when we came here from o/s in the early 1980s, it was exactly the opposite..

re the thermostat - my bad - didn't realise they were different - sorry ben.

I went to Japan not long ago and all over Europe a year or two before that - with the exceptionpehaps of steak, I was surprised how expensive things there weren't...did that make sense?

Thats just my point -

Also bne, syd and melb have the most expesive cbd retail costs... etc etc

Also, if the $ goes up (against the euro for eg - it was 85.5 the other day), shouldn't it be cheaper to import things?

(better buying power??) so my 6015 should be cheaper....?

oh, and don't get me started on the price difference of a new porsche here and in the US....

Edited by cram

Same thing is true about computer hardware and software

Downloads: 'It's cheaper to pay a wage, fly to the US and back twice'

Australians are paying 50 per cent more than American shoppers for downloaded music and games, as well as computer software and hardware, consumer watchdog Choice says.

In a submission to a parliamentary inquiry into IT Pricing, Choice says Australians are on the wrong end of of international price discrimination by copyright holders.

Also, if the $ goes up (against the euro for eg - it was 85.5 the other day), shouldn't it be cheaper to import things?

(better buying power??) so my 6015 should be cheaper....?

yea but the pet industry does not run on logic mate.

if you focus on that

you will go insane

We are the lucky country

and the powers that be know

we will pay whatever

as long as we get to keep living here.

Although despite what procull says

europe would be pretty sweet

srsly

Berlin Nightlife

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA fishy stuff is a luxury item , if you cant afford it dont buy it !!!!! or go get a second job at pizza hut WAAAA WAAAAAAAA WAAAAA

lots of great advice (always great :)) but you still haven't really contributed to the discussion on why though...

lots of great advice (always great :)) but you still haven't really contributed to the discussion on why though...

no need for me add any more than my usual piontless comments as ben who deals with these issues on a daily basis has answered it better than i could hope to

my contribution is related to the mechanics of getting the cash together to buy something you cant afford

no need for me add any more than my usual piontless comments as ben who deals with these issues on a daily basis has answered it better than i could hope to

my contribution is related to the mechanics of getting the cash together to buy something you cant afford

yes - many thanks to ben, techy and the others for their input.

of course you're making assumptions and not really differentiating between the "affording" and the "wanting to know why" it is that we pay so much more for our gear here.

I met an LFS owner at an auction recently - he had no time for online shops (like AoA - he spat that one out..sorry ben) - doesn't have one although he's spent 10s of thousand on an online store - the death of the industry he reckons - let alone buying from o/s on ebay or whatever...He said he wouldn't sell a product if he couldn't put 300% mark-up on it (little wonder I have never bought anything at his shop).