CoreyM.

Breeding Festae's

Heyy, was just wondering if a 4ftx1.8x1.8 tank is big enough for a breeding pair of festae's and im willing to go to extremes to make it work as i think festae's are sick. And any helpful advice on care and breeding would be appreciated.

Cheers

So 4ft is big enough provided i have dividers at the ready and have heaps of hiding spots??? and i have a 3ftx1.8x1.5 fry grow out tank already

Cheers

Having dividers ready isnt really efficent unless u are watching ever minute one could be killed at any time. take the advice from people like dff and if u want a success buy a larger tank and set it up correctly

If you grow 'em up from young, (around 6cms) and don't change tanks or decor, then you have a good chance that they'll tolerate each other and eventually pair. TBH, I've never known or been able to breed 'em any other way. Buying mature fish, unless they're already paired, is a recipe for death. Lots of work involved with breeding festae and many losses, unless you get lucky like I did. Mine paired and bred (5 times) in 36x18x18, but they were put in there at 3cms and allowed to grow together. Eventually, anything less than a 5x2x2 will be too small for a fully grown pair and even that's pushing it a bit.