219_ca.jpg

There are over 70 different species of Caulerpa. This is Caulerpa lentillifera.

When we think about the evolution of life on our planet, we usually think of minuscule single-celled organisms as the simple precursors to more complex, multi-cellular life forms.

Cells Are Building Blocks

You might remember seeing single-cell organisms under a microscope in biology class, and perhaps you remember them as rather boring blobs.

Life got much more interesting and complex when the cells joined together to become animals or plants. Most people–biologists as well as you and I–think of cells primarily as building blocks of more complicated organisms.

What Is Caulerpa?

That’s why an organism called “Caulerpa,” a kind of alga, is so fascinating. There are over seventy different species of Caulerpa, which grow in warm, shallow lagoons around the world.

If you saw one of these growing on the sea floor, you would think it was an aqueous plant, no different from any other type of seaweed. You would be wrong.

Although Caulerpa has a complex structure with parts that look like leaves and stems and roots, and although it can grow to be over three feet long, it is actually a single cell.

Wait… It’s A Single Cell?

Caulerpa has only a single cell wall, surrounding the whole organism from the root tips to leaves. Within, the liquid of the cell flows freely. Structural support comes from a series of microscopic rods and microtubules, taking over the function of cell walls in multi-cellular plants.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Caulerpa is what it teaches us about life and evolution. It shows us that complex life does not need to evolve along only the lines we expect. Life can often surprise us!

One cell,but what a cell,well up to three layers of cell wall!

An interesting thing about the algae cells, of many that is,no two algae have the same cell chacteristics!

This I found fascinating and valuable when applying forms of horticulture to the mix in relation to substance production as a bi product from varied matter (different algae dead tissue) as it is broken down by available bacteria with in the marine system.

I use this principal to make and distribute elements for my inverts-corals, in minuscule amounts of course,but I still get some growth and colour from them.

Even the aragonite they produce form photosynthesised CO2 used to help support and sustain its tough cellular structure,its all valuable for my inverts once in the water.

The ways that the cells structural integrity only allows the more robust molecules to enter the cell,that’s the garbage I want out of the water and photosynthesised are so cool,this enables good osmotic results for me, as in taking it in, the right stuff that is and converting it,done!

Then I trim it and kill it, reintroduce it as many forms of algae as possible,(i use quite a few from my system that get a bit over grown and collect some to add to the mix as well) all these are consumed by the bacteria that is part of my intense nitrite cycle for me and expelled as elements my inverts depend on, same as a good mix of dead tissue in organic fertilisers.

I use organic lifter, not dynamic lifter its over priced and not that great, I think that’s the name, good stuff.

The simplicity of it for me is, one particular type of dead plant matter gets converted to magnesium from naturally mutating forms of bacteria with in the soil as is in the water with protists as well and on all surfaces and so on and so on.

Each form of dead tissue has a mutated form of bacteria made to cope with it, the forms would be in the millions maybe.

Then the protists consume them and excrete other substances,its so diverse I find it hard to get my head around it.

You then take in fish number twos produce very little valuable elements from bacteria oxidising it, but if you actually have serious clean bio filtering it produces nitrogen and that inspires plant growth, varied plants, once dead are converted to trace elements, each one a different element or two from its decay, free naturally made elements!

Love the varied algae, never get sick of the benefits of using it as my main bio filter and element producer for my reef system.

Good point deadfishfloating.

Algae rules!!!

Edited by liquidg