WillnNik

What are green terror in Australia - discussion move from sales thread

Scientific Name(s): Aequidens rivulatus, Chromis rivulata

Common Name(s): Green Terror, Green Rivulatus

post-4392-14711627098112_thumb.jpg

Species Type: South American Cichlids

Description: Males grow around 10-12inches upon full maturity while females are more around 7-9inches. They have a green sheen on the body with each green scale having a black dot in the centre. The tail of the gold saum is a brilliant red as is the lining of the dorsal fin. The acara like saums in the hobby today come from Ecuador and aren't overly aggressive but do have an attitude especially when breeding. The true rivulatus hasn't been seen in the hobby for more than 10 years mainly from what I've heard due to drug trafficking in and out of Peru, which is where the true terror is from. I have seen one and it tends too look a lot more like the geophagus species with a longer snout than expected. Those fish were true terrors as well, comparing that to the red terror (festae) it shares its watery home with in the wild. Tank mates would include jack dempsey's, convicts, oscars and other cichlids of similar size that aren't too aggressive like midas and festae. Unless of course the tank is extremely large. Dithers such as silver dollars, giant danios work well as would clown loaches and certain catfish like plecos and pictus.

gold suams have an irridescent lattice on their sides, silver suams have irrdescent dots, this is because the gold suam has irridescence on the edge of its scales (hence forming a lattice) and silver has irridescent centres

also i believe gold saums edge fin colour can range from white to orange, and are possibly geographic colour morphs of the same sp.?

Sorry joller the gold saums and silver saums in Australia are just different colour morphs of the same species. You can read a discussion here; Gold Saum & White Saum.

It just irks me that in todays hobby, these fish are still mislabled when all the information regarding this species is readily available on the net.

Edited by pk333

It wold be good to see them in aus.

However these things are time, it's a shame that we cannot have any new fish into aus from the American cichlid side of things, but it is also positive seeing a new parachromis pop up which with a few batches Australia show be flooded with them, and hey will be here to stay.

Fingers crossed we get some true green terrors, but I hear they are even hard t come by in the us.