electric yellow cichlids

FX5 Fluval motor when to clean?

how long have u had the filter running for and what media do u have in it ? i have only cleaned mine impeller 2 times in 6 yrs ,only time i had a flow problem is when i decided to put filter wool in basket it clogged up in 2 days after i put it in and flow slowed right down i took it out and never had prob since

Edited by catfishin

yep with my cheap chinese canisters , i clean them once a month .... but with FX5 its massive to remove it out of the cabinet and from what i read in my instruction that you have to tip most of it out and then flip it upside down to clean propeller or motor. 2 mths ago i have cleaned its filters and mattings.. pretty good condition. but still teh flow is abit low than when it first started up . cheers

ps. when i cleaned the filter i saw some white sand in it ... i have removed sand out. its the sailfin that did it lol

Edited by electric yellow cichlids

Hey mate I have 4 canisters here at home. 3 different brands and the Fx5 is the biggest and easiest to clean. All you do is close off your inlet and outlet taps, attach a hose to the bottom, open the valve and unplug both of your hoses. it empties in 5 mins and then it's light as to move out of a cabinet. I also have mine in a hole I cut in the floor of the cabinet. HTH helps man.

Yep draining it is the way to go.

Lot of people on here have attached a garden hose clip to the flush out pipe.

that way you can clip the garden hose onto it, and drain it into the backyard.

very cool

Its more important to clean the motor if sand is getting into it

BUT

make sure you put the O ring back on properly!

lol and also

not every screwdriver can get at fx5 screws

lol they are tricky.

I actually have screwdrivers in the cabinet beside them

NOT TO BE REMOVED

as I hate hunting around to find the exact one

when you need it.

On a similar topic - my FX5 motor seems to have died. Is it a common problem and does anyone have a motor unit or know where I can get one?

Basically it suddenly started rattling. It sounded like the impellor shaft had broken or a pebble was rattling in the impellor. I pulled it down and the shaft is fine. No foreign objects in the impellor area. I cleaned it all and reassembled the motor unit then plugged it in. The impellor stops, starts, shudders and stops again. You can hold it and it takes almost no force to stop it rotating. I think the sealed motor unit is rooted.

On a similar topic - my FX5 motor seems to have died. Is it a common problem and does anyone have a motor unit or know where I can get one?

Basically it suddenly started rattling. It sounded like the impellor shaft had broken or a pebble was rattling in the impellor. I pulled it down and the shaft is fine. No foreign objects in the impellor area. I cleaned it all and reassembled the motor unit then plugged it in. The impellor stops, starts, shudders and stops again. You can hold it and it takes almost no force to stop it rotating. I think the sealed motor unit is rooted.

I'd say you need a new impellor, by the sounds of things where the internal shaft is running through could be worn out, or the impellor is catching somewhere.

a new impellor should fix it.

Sand kills the bushing down in behind the motor and can create a rattle, it is quite easy to remove, plenty of info on the net, unscrew the motor assembaly and pull the cap off that holds the impellor in place, remive the impellor and guve it a wash also flush out where the impellor sits, reassemble and lube the oring, and yes correct screwdriver is a must, I run 2 on one if my tank and only have filter polishing pads in the bottom tray of each, I clean the pads fortnightly as the do seem to restrict the flow quite quickly.