glenncol

Aquarium Hoods, material?

Hi all

My brother in law purchased a new hood for his 5x2x2 tank yesterday, its advertised as a pine hood upon looking at it it seems the sides and front are pine but the top looks like its MDF laminated.

Whyi say that is the edges are routed round and the material looks like MDF and taking the door flap off looks like the hinges are screwed into MDF.

Is this normal, hard to tell with mine as its painted black but looking at another store in Melb it appears the tops are MDF

My hood I bought but never used for my six foot is all pine, sitting in garage -_- I think its odd yours isnt..others may say otherwise.

Hi, yeah what i should have also added was after noticing this i did a ring around too some timber suppliers asking about the tops on these hoods, i was told from 4 suppliers they cannot get pine board any wider than 285 mm where the brother inlaws tops is 400 mm and the doors 220 mm. Looking at mine its around the same, so whats the story there?

Pine will come in at a max width of 290 mm.

With any hood i build i always use solid pine and join it to the required width.

If your going to use it i would make sure you seal it good and proper even on the edge where the hinges are.

=)

Pine will come in at a max width of 290 mm.

With any hood i build i always use solid pine and join it to the required width.

If your going to use it i would make sure you seal it good and proper even on the edge where the hinges are.

=)

How do you joint it and not see the join?

great skill, biscuit or dowl join it and clamp it hard, then sand it smooth and the join almost completely disappeares, and then cut to the desired width, its actually quite easy

theres nothing wrong with using mdf as long as its the right grade, theres been a discussion on this a while ago, ive had my 6x2 complete cabinet and hood made from mdf and its as it was the day i made it and its not 6 years old,

not all mdf and chipboards are made the same but thats a discussion for another time,

If I'm at home I'd biscuit it. If I'm at work I'd finger join it.

If he is planning on painting it I would bother building a new one just make sure he seals in first.

Or yes just use A grade ply wood and put an edge strip on it.

=)