Sign in to follow this  
Juggla

Pregnant?? Guppy Death

Hey all,

I just had another of my female guppies die. This one was in my birthing tank, and earlier today I caught one of the other females attacking her tail fin. So I moved that other female back into my main display tank, and put the giant pregnant one into the little birthing box thingy so that none of the other females could get to her.

Well, I just went and looked again, and the giant pregnant one was floating dead inside the birthing box thing. So, we decided that since she was so pregnant, the babies might still be alive, and performed a c-section on it.

Turns out that there were no babies inside her at all, just this rather large bloated see-through sack. Not sure whether there was liquid or air in this sack, but there was definately no babies.

Any idea what could cause a fish's stomach to bloat so much and look pregnant?

I will add a pic of the fish from earlier today before it died.

Thanks all.

Bloat rarely occurs in guppies to me it looks as though age has caught up with her. Guppies are not a long lived fish whihc is why they reproduce so rapidly.

It is possible but the shop you bought from would be in the same boat as you. He wouldnt know the age either as guppies grow super fast. So no one would be to blame.

Just to clear it up I have guppies here that are 4months old that are the same size of ones I bought fully grown and had for over a year myself.

Okay thanks. Seems that maybe age could be to blame, or maybe this bloat. Is bloat actually a disease? or is it something to do with eating too much?

Thanks again all.

Bloat is a bacterial infection of the gut. Clout is an aquarium medication to fix it but hard to get.

The other is flagyl or metradiazonal an antibiotic available through vets or even our own doctor. It is the same as prescribed to us for stomach problems.

Sign in to follow this