Mitch.0

Should I add another filter?

Hi,

I have an aquaone AR850 tank which holds about 165 Litres. It one of those all in one systems and the filter does 1000.

I don't have an overly high stock (2 juvi calvus, 5 Brevis shellys & 1 transcripts) but my fish are fussy little buggers and will only eat food that is not on the gravel but everytime I go to feed them they disappear and by the time they come out again half the food has hit the bottom and they won't eat it.

I do water changes about every 5 days, vacuuming the gravel at the same time and always notice food build up under the filter area.

I was thinking of adding another small filter as well to help. Would this work? And what type/ size would you recommend.

I'm just paranoid about ammonia with excess food laying around and am getting those horrible little snails that we all hate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michelle

You definately can't ever have too much filtration! So more is always better IMO.. But if you are getting food build up somewhere it's not getting eaten and you maybe could/should feed less?

We have the 650 version of that tank and run an bio air sponge to help.. It made a huge difference to the readings!

The best thing we did after that though was to pull all the all in one filter out very carefully, and throw it in the bin:) we cut some small holes in the back where the filter should be and put a canister filter on it, now it has the look of the all in one but it works sooo much better!

Thanks Mat, I agree the filters that come with them are not ideal. I will look into the bio sponge filter, what size? And does it just slip into the existing filter outlet once I take the cover off?

Yes, I think I do at times overfeed them and that's why they are so fussy :(

There isn't really any complete solution to remove uneaten food:( you can suck it out right after every feeding, blow it round or have huge filtration so the parameters won't be AS effected.. Or yea just feed lots less as if they were hungry the fish would find it and eat it.

This is a bio sponge filter it runs off an external air pump it sits in the tank and looks ugly but they do a great job of helping with the breakdown of waste:)

b38ab5ca.jpg

Thanks, I actually have one of these in my cherry shrimp tank and always wondered how the **** gets through all the sponge, didn't make sense that they were better but people rave about them. I will grab one tomorrow and give it ago.

I run sponges in most of my tanks and clean them at each water change....always amazed how dirty the water is after they are given a quick squeeze in the old water

Air sponges work very well for 2 reasons.....the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite are most efficient at LOW flow rates and they like a HIGH oxygen environment

an air driven sponge filter ticks these two boxes

With shellies....I use the much hated MTS to clean up uneaten food....I feed excess snails to my Cryptoheros....so nothing goes to waste

Good Luck....but I think any fry will be a snack for the next species...unless you have lots of rock piles...then maybe the odd smart one will survive....;)

Edited by Rod

Thanks Rod, definately sounds like they are worth changing over to.

Amazingly enough I have 5 Neon Tetras in with them and they are either extremely fast or just not tastey enough for my Calvus. I thought for sure they would be feeders but they have survived for a month or so although dont image them to be there for ever lol. So, I actually have hope that fry may survive :)

Yeah, Calvus are only 5cm or so. Know its just a matter of time but I like the neons so once one disappears the rest will be moved to the cherry shrimp tank.

Its amazing how my shellys have it over the Calvus, they will defend their territory and are not scared of him at all. Tough and funny little fish :)

Here are some pics of my tank, sorry but they were taken from my phone so not the best quality and it looks so so so small compared to real life.

I usually have a beautiful piece of driftwood near the shells but took it out yesterday as noticed food s****s were clinging to it and turning fluffy :eek:

So, the second pic is a close up of the current filter sucker thing (sorry dont know the technical name) Do I just take the black cap part off and slide the pipe from the new sponge filter into this pipe?

post-6618-14711627110662_thumb.jpg

post-6618-14711627110991_thumb.jpg

Wow, the bottom ones are amazing colours.

Here is a photo of my male (juvi) Ikola, once again a bad photo as taken from my phone but I hope the sunspot comes out a bit more when he is fully mature although dont think he is far from it now.

I love their little turned up mouth with the toothy look, remind me of a bulldog.

post-6618-14711627111488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mitch.0