Hey peoples,

I have a colony of these 1m 3f about the 20cm mark. I've got a little info from a friend but just wondering what there worth as fry to sell.

Are these hard to get and sell?

What prices am I looking at to sell fry if I get them breeding?

I've been told $20 each at 5cm and was offered a female (unsure on size for $50) which I thought was a bit on the high side but I don't know enough about them before setting a price for the future if things go good with the breeding.

What I learnt they love a big tank. I have them in a 48x18x18 and really can't go bigger due to room.

Am I wasting my time in a 4ft?

Any breeding ideas to help me?

Thanks anyone that can help :)

I think they hunt in Vallisneria in the wild. So maybe some plants would make them feel more at home? Unsure of price, but they have large broods, probably cheap due to the amount you'll end up with.

As for availability, a couple of stores around have them, most don't. I'm waiting for my hopefully male eye biter to colour up currently. Eagerly waiting.

I think they hunt in Vallisneria in the wild. So maybe some plants would make them feel more at home? Unsure of price, but they have large broods, probably cheap due to the amount you'll end up with.

As for availability, a couple of stores around have them, most don't. I'm waiting for my hopefully male eye biter to colour up currently. Eagerly waiting.

Thanks Michael_M for the info and best of luck. they look wicked once coloured up. The missus thinks there ugly lol but what does she know pmsl ;)

Yeah I was also told I forgot to add but plants that hang down in the tank so the male doesn't eye off the females so much. I really haven't had that problem in my tank (touch wood) with the male smashing the females. there pretty calm which is great. I thought I had a female holding last week until she ate :(.

Hey peoples,

I have a colony of these 1m 3f about the 20cm mark. I've got a little info from a friend but just wondering what there worth as fry to sell.

Are these hard to get and sell?

What prices am I looking at to sell fry if I get them breeding?

I've been told $20 each at 5cm and was offered a female (unsure on size for $50) which I thought was a bit on the high side but I don't know enough about them before setting a price for the future if things go good with the breeding.

What I learnt they love a big tank. I have them in a 48x18x18 and really can't go bigger due to room.

Am I wasting my time in a 4ft?

Any breeding ideas to help me?

Thanks anyone that can help :)

They are very easy to breed fish.............

The price you got there will not sale if you set as they are not rare fish, price is $1/cm and cheaper if buy 10 or more.

You should add some fake plants if not real plants because some real plants will lower your PH which not good for African so depend which plants you put in there, if you go for real plants then anubias, java fern and some peacock moss. GL

mate I have colony my self they won't last long in that tank once the male wants to start to breed he will hunt them down you need a lot of hideing places for the females to live in such a small tank they really need a 6x2x2 and lots of val.

On a side note once the male snaps (and most of the time they do LOL) and starts to beat things up he will always stay that way and become a killer I have had males kill 30cm plecos they are relentless and best of in the fridge.

mate I have colony my self they won't last long in that tank once the male wants to start to breed he will hunt them down you need a lot of hideing places for the females to live in such a small tank they really need a 6x2x2 and lots of val.

On a side note once the male snaps (and most of the time they do LOL) and starts to beat things up he will always stay that way and become a killer I have had males kill 30cm plecos they are relentless and best of in the fridge.

Thanks Druid for the info. I might have to look into getting a bigger tank for these. I have a 7ft but no room atm to set up.

Congrats!!!!! makesure you give her and others plenty of hiding holes/places or put her in a big fry saver but still in the same tank.

Cheers for the tip Ryan. I did notice she started becoming more aggressive last night towards the other females. what a cow hahah ;)

I can finally say having these fish for 2 months now and all 3 females were holding and 2 must of swallowed due to stress or not enough structure in the tank BUT I stripped my smallest female 2 days ago and I knew she had a couple more days to wait and got 5 eggs in the tumbler now. I think she has swallowed the rest or they never developed properly due to the early strip. Regardless I know some may laugh with the lame amount of fry which I got but I'm stoked :)

5 is better then none james,they are a awesome fish mate,i look forward to seeing the fry in a few weeks.

Thanks Linny :) I will post a pic down the track. I always get attached to the first fry from any colony so These babies will be staying here. I'm hoping with the structure changes I made will make a better chance of them females holding long term rather than swallowing them.