Coastalboy

Any tips or Hints with breeding Goldies? :D

Hey guys,

I am a first Time Goldie Breeder and jsut seeing if any of you guys could help me out abit with Goldie Breeding. Is there any tips or tricks is should know about it?

Water temp is 22 degrees atm, i see the males doing the "Chase" and i think i have 2 males, "that i know of" they have little pimple looking white dots on there front fins and gills.

I have some fake plants in there, hollow log and a 3d background. Sand and Gravel. Is there anything im missing?

Loads of elodea in the tank and pull it out when it's covered in eggs and place in another tank. You can even hatch 'em in a washing up bowl.................."pimples" on jaw is correct for males...............they're like the "pimples" on your...............how shall I say it?..................male appendage................. that gets him/you all excited when he/you rubs against the female causing him/you to.................errrrrrrrrrrrrrm.....................ejaculate.

As kev said mate...elodea is a gem for catching eggs as they spawn..if you have males already chasing...you can guess what they are chasing hey ;)..I'd grab 2 of the best males chasing the female and along with the female have them set up in their own tank/pond...this is to avoid other goldies eating the eggs as they are released...also to get the best fish together so you have the best babies....then as Kev also mentioned grab the elodea with the eggs still attached and set up in another tank with the same water...use a bit of methylene blue to fight off fungus on the dud eggs(I use at half a dose to whats recommended on the bottle)...and make sure the water in the egg holding container stays a constant temp(doesnt drop below 20 degrees and not over 26 as they grow best at your current temp about 22 degrees)...and agree with Kev again ;) sometomes a washing bowl is great for using as the egg hatching tub..I regularly use the white laundry basins that hold about 10 litres...also the elodea that holds the eggs will also supply the first micro feed for the new born fry..also its wise to get an air stone(with attached air control valve) in the water(which i turn off once they have hatched or keep on very low level) and once you begin feeding switch to a small sponge filter...this is usually about 3 days after they are born as they live on the yolk sack for the first 30-40 hrs and hardly move during this period too ;)..if you have a decent sized pond..enough natural growth like elodea etc...then you can usually leave them to naturally breed as the fry will eat micro-organisms off the plants and in the water and will hide amongst the elodea etc avoiding the adults,etc...and nature will take its course...some will survive the journey and join the rest....