jason v

L number breeders please help

catfish breeders please help

I am breeding peppermint BN and my tanks are getting infested with snails and my young are dying off quickly!!!! Is it because of the snails or the zucchini iam feeding them.

Can you please tell me how to get to get rid of the snails.

And what is the best food to feed the fry

Can you treat potassium permanganate with l numbers as i have 8 tanks running of 1 sump!

thankyou jason

I'm no expert (especially compared to some ppl here but...)

I would not treat snails with anything that has copper in it or most snail treatments can kill catfish... I think it says on the bottle

also mortality in catfish fry can be very high in the early days as they can get all sorts of parasites and lack a natural enviroment to sustain new life...

there are treatments that I can't recall but they help reduce gill flukes and other parasites

this keeps a lot of the young fry alive until they develop immune system by eating parents poo to get gut flora beneficial to them

I would isolate and start google search

hope this helps

J

There is not a lot that you can do as there will be eggs everywhere - in the plumbing and in the sump and unless you plan on taking all the fish out and treating the system they are something that you can control but very difficult to eliminate..

As for the starving try the powder formula as it sinks and covers the bottom of the tank and allows the fry to find the food rather than starving. Still use zucchini as bn's still need fiber in their diet and zucchini is a good source for it.

Catfish Food

Keep an eye on your water and nitrates. Once all those little mouths start eating, the pollution starts coming out the other end. Multiply that by how many fry you have and it can very quickly send you water bad. Lots of smaller water changes. Yeah I know its a pest but the fry will thank you for it.

mate think of every thing in your tank and write us a list so we can try to help find the problem

ie water paramiters ph/ nitrait/ amonia

temp

plants /timber

i wouldent worry about the snails they can be seen as a good sighn of a healthy tank ,/ or over fed if they are outof contole withch would also indicate pour water conditions

give us some more details so we can stop guesing and tell you what we have lernt

i also recommend the fry powder from the tech den everytime i have bn fry i put them in a icecream bucket that ive modified for them and sprinkle a bit of the powder in with this last batch of fry i think ive only lost 2/3 in the last week if you do decide to feed zucinni dont leave it in for to long as for the snails i cant help there

I have found the best way to get rid of snails is to get a lettuce leak weigh it down in the tank and leave it over night, the snails usually flock to the leaf so the following morning remove the leaf and dispose of the snails. Usually the fry are more interested in the zucchini or powder and tend not to eat the leaf.

Has worked for me in the past, takes a while but didn't require the use of chemicals, as far as the fry dieing off I don't think the snails would be the culprit.

HTH