Inkozana

Questions for the experts...

(I am absolutely SICK of people buying bettas and plopping them into 1L 'decorative' bowls and asking me why it died this winter or why it's floating to the top all the time.)

I work in the fish section and I want to know from experts what is the MINIMAL amount people can do to keep their fighters happy (we sell crown & vale).

i.e. - information for people who want a bettas in their kitchen or bedroom in a bowl without filtration/heating.

Obviously I am all for the quality of life for all of the fish but I've once had a woman call me a 'smart -donkey-' for suggesting she add a heater to her tank after her betta had died from a particularly cold night.

Please & Thank-you!

(I am absolutely SICK of people buying bettas and plopping them into 1L 'decorative' bowls and asking me why it died this winter or why it's floating to the top all the time.)

I work in the fish section and I want to know from experts what is the MINIMAL amount people can do to keep their fighters happy (we sell crown & vale).

i.e. - information for people who want a bettas in their kitchen or bedroom in a bowl without filtration/heating.

Obviously I am all for the quality of life for all of the fish but I've once had a woman call me a 'smart -donkey-' for suggesting she add a heater to her tank after her betta had died from a particularly cold night.

Please & Thank-you!

Your first sentence read it and read it real well then print it out and take it to work and pin it up in a spot where you see it all the time but not the customers.

Say to yourself this is what happens when things are not explained prior or during purchase. Anyone that sells ya fighters at work and does not mention a heater - give em a good kick in the bum and tell them to go read what you pinned up.

Explaining you need a heater after the fish has died I think the lady that said smart donkey was trying to say to you it would have been better telling me that before it died rather than after.

If you say it to all your customers then there is little comeback other than - you are right, I need a fighter and a heater please.

Edited by The Tech Den

If you have seen the behaviour of fighters in bigger tanks, they explore, they have quite a snake=like head in the way it moves in a complex environment as they explore their surrounds.

For my book - I reckon a 1 foot by 1 foot tank is a good size, and then work the tank to make it interesting for the fish.

Also highlight that the lack of filter works in a well run aquarium section based on large water changes daily with sweet water for fish, not tap water, no tank water. Without that a filter and heater are not optional!

Also a lot of people starting out in fish buy one fighter. Lots don't realize that they can be added to a community tank and do really well with many tropical fish. It's the same as any pet, people should research before buying. I had a fighter in my 3ft community tank and he loved it, never bothered the other tropical fish and he looked stunning

Your first sentence read it and read it real well then print it out and take it to work and pin it up in a spot where you see it all the time but not the customers.

Say to yourself this is what happens when things are not explained prior or during purchase. Anyone that sells ya fighters at work and does not mention a heater - give em a good kick in the bum and tell them to go read what you pinned up.

Explaining you need a heater after the fish has died I think the lady that said smart donkey was trying to say to you it would have been better telling me that before it died rather than after.

If you say it to all your customers then there is little comeback other than - you are right, I need a fighter and a heater please.

Our staff do recommend heaters and filters for all tropical fish, but we do get people who have bought else where/not sought out information on the betta before setting up it's tank/bowl and those are mostly the people that we deal with. We have a specific tank of 9L with a heater and filter that we set up our betta display with to try and encourage people to choose this option rather than going to a home-ware store to purchase a decorative bowl.

I know the staff are very good at explaining proper care of tropical fish, it's just when people are distressed because their fish has died and we try and explain to them the importance of filters and heaters and the majority of people think we are just trying to upsell. I've had a lot of customers tell me that bettas don't need heaters or filters and when I explain why they do, they retort with "I've always kept them in bowls." I'd love to say back to them "Well, you're here talking to me about a dead fish aren't you?" but I can't really say that.. I guess this is as much a vent as it is a grasp for information.

It doesn't help that a lot of lfs/company stores DO display their bettas in glass cups or even plastic cups.. it confuses the customer.

I like what gingerbeer said about a 1ft x 1ft tank for bettas and also the information on the sweet water.

People ask where our bowls are kept, I tell them we don't sell them because they are cruel (in more detail obviously) and I swear most of them walk out with the intentions of just going somewhere else to purchase a bowl.

I like to think I'm a pretty good sales person, but a lot of the time I think people want to put a betta in a bowl on their dining table for decoration with no intention of actually making an effort to keep the poor thing alive.

I remember many years ago over wynnum way, they had betta's for sale and display in "fish sale bags" From memory they had them on the counter lined up. It was not like they were moving them very fast either so was not like they were just "ready for sale as it was an ongoing thing." Wonder if the RSPCA is interested in aquarium fish and if they would act on something like that now days?

G'day Inkozana,

A heater is essential for a Betta during a Brisbane winter. Some people may heat their living area 24/7 during winter, so Bettas may survive in these homes. But otherwise, a heater is a must. You can get away with no filter, with regular water changes.

I have "lost" a few sales in the last month because I always explain that Bettas need a heater during winter. Luckily we sell some small heat pad heaters that fit comfortably in or under smaller tanks or bowls. I'd rather a potential buyer know what it takes to keep a Betta alive and healthy than just make the sale. But when you're selling a $40 to $60 male Betta or a pair for $75 to $150, you sort of feel obliged to make sure they're going to some one who knows what they're doing.

I know how you feel mate, for me when I worked in the fish department I had the same frustration.

To me for quality of life I would suggest a 1ft cube for a fighter, this gives the fish plenty of room, and for a heater, and a nice slow filter.

I used to persuade people into buying this by telling them what I have set up a home

A 1ft cube

With a HOB filter

And a small heater

Simple stuff.

So for me it's a minimum of 30L tank, I've seen my fair share of fighters being sold in bowls and live there for years, not to say they are happy. Those fighters are probably waiting for someone to give them eat poison and get the suffering over and done with IMO.

There is no excuse. And for those poeple who say

"he doesn't swim anywhere, what's wrong with him?"

Give him some bloody room to turn around and he will swim!

Ignorance of people is astounding.

Oh, but they do. Waite, was that you last Saturday.

I do like it when a customer says "it's bad other stores don't give out all this information", and take on board what information staff and regular store stalkers here supply, whether they buy a fish or not.

Don't like it so much when some one rolls their eyes and has that "what ever" look.