loached

Heating water in winter?

Ok I will try to keep this brief.

I have a 3 ft 150 lt freshwater tank that I have just setup. Tank is inside and windows closed..

Purchased a Ehiem Jager 100w (100lt-150lt) heater and put it in on tues evening.

Tank temp was just below 10degrees.

Now minimum temp on these is 18degrees. Over 36hrs it maxed at 15 degrees.

I upgrade it for a 150w Jager heater good for 200-300lts and put it in last night-gave it 15 mins to adjust/settle like the aqua one units and set it at 18degrees. Tank temp was 7.8

This morning tank temp was 10 degrees???

I have now put another heater in the tank at the opposite end (brand new aqua one 300w heater) to hopefully get it up to 18 degrees then slowly up to 25 degrees..

Anyone else had trouble like this?

As mat said maybe try another thermometer.

I did have a brand new aquaone thermosafe in which the light was on but noone was home - the element would not get hot.

Most heaters will not be 100% calibrated either - you might need to set ur heater at 28c to achieve 25c and vice versa.

As mat said maybe try another thermometer.

I did have a brand new aquaone thermosafe in which the light was on but noone was home - the element would not get hot.

Most heaters will not be 100% calibrated either - you might need to set ur heater at 28c to achieve 25c and vice versa.

I had same problem other day fairly new heater, light was on but element wasnt getting hot. I had couple L numbers in there swimming around in 16 degrees.

I had same problem other day fairly new heater, light was on but element wasnt getting hot. I had couple L numbers in there swimming around in 16 degrees.

yes there are lids on the tank..

Just to clearup, I am not running three heaters. The first one 100w was replaced/upgraded to 150w and have since this morning added a aqua one 300w.

I will see how the temp is later this evening,once I can get it to 25deg I will remove the aqua one 300w unit and let the ehiem hoefully do the job..

I'm not sure of your situation, but heaters should be sold with more useful information.

it takes a certain amount of energy to heat water above the ambient (say room temp).

so if you're ambient room temp is 5oC and you want 25oC you need to heat whatever volume of water 20oC - so you need a heater which can do that. You can work this out mathmatically, and I'm sure there are some formulas on the web...

I'd suggest most of the ratings for heaters (e.g. 100w for 150L tank or whatever) comes from well insulated central-heated home in the northern hemisphere where the ambient temp is 20oC or so. This doesn't apply to us here, so when its very very cold (a few oC like atm), then these heaters are really going to have their work cut out for them.

Just a quick reminder, be very careful about naming products in a negative light.

OP I would suggest given you have tried three different heaters, it is time to stop buying heaters, and buy a thermometer.

I would be looking for a 150 - 200 watt heater for a 3 foot tank myself... but your high temperatures are very low. What is the temperature in the room where the tank is?

Ok so I got home and with both heaters running all day the temp is at 11.9 and cold.

I have turned both heaters off and will wait a bit then remove them, drain some water and add a few jugs of boiling water to get the temp up to 25 degrees then put one

heater back in and hopefully this will fix it..

Getting another thermometer will not really help at this stage as the water is cold to touch however it maybe useful that it could be more accurate than the digital ones..

According to my climate smart mercury thermometer it is 18 degrees.

I ripped it open from the casing and stuck it in the tank(at both ends) and it showed

near 19 degrees??? So even though the water is very cool it must be 19 degrees?

I think I have learnt a lesson not to trust the digital thermometers as much as I have..:(

Thanks to everyone offering advice.

I will be buying some thermometers tomorrow and start again..Will give the heaters a break tonight I think...

To test your heaters better put them in a smaller container and see if they heat up a smaller amount of water. I had my 3 footer up to 25oC overnight and the heaters you've got should do the same. Did you buy these heaters new or did you inherit them?

Just wet each heater in turn, take it out of the tank and wrap your hand around it, switch it on... if it gets warm, then warmer, and still warmer, then it works (easy no brainer). Might even see the steam come off it - just put it back in the water or switch it off before it blows. You sure it has a light? some smaller wattage heaters don't always have one. hth

Edited by aqc247
posting 'once' should've been a no brainer.. haha

If the heater is working properly, when the light comes on you should definitely be able to feel it, put your hand on it (under water!) and you should feel it hot, in fact be careful not to burn yourself. This is assuming you have it set around 26 degrees. It should not be hot if the light is not on. If the light is on and it is only slightly warm, turn the dial completely off, then in one smooth movement right up to 26 again. Sometimes adjusting it a small amount doesn't work, its a bit like re-booting your computer. And be aware of what kasman said, they are usually not well calibrated. Finally, another problem may be you could be running far too many things off one power point, and your heater is not running at 240v, but much lower and is struggling to work.

Sorry I have been unable to reply sooner.

We had a family emergency over the weekend so the tank was put on hold.

Sunday evening I replaced the digital temp readers with aqua one glass thermometers.

The tank temp was around 10degrees. I then put 3 jugs of boiled water in carefully mixing the water help it along. Then after a few mins the temp read 17 degrees so I put the heater onto 25degrees and waited over night and success!

Now it's stable at 25degrees :)