HittMann

HELP!!!! $$$$$ down the drain

yesterday i bought 7 iceberg electric blues, they loved the new 4ft tank but when i checked on them this morning the 5 females were dead and 2 males are floating around upside down breathing and one is swimming but head down(upside down). My wife is really upset as this was going to be our 1st breeding colony.

conditions of the tank:-

22 deg water 1/4 rain water, 1/4 exsisting water from another tank and 1/2 tap water with de-chlorinator

fish rested in bag for 30 mins

1/2 cup of aqua salt

Brand-New fish tank washed out and wiped down

all this has made both of us really upset, as we can not find a breeder able to sell these fish on the forum. we had to buy from a shop at retail.

Please help me if you can :(

photos of before then after:(

post-7559-14711627165162_thumb.jpg

post-7559-14711627165643_thumb.jpg

post-7559-14711627166055_thumb.jpg

post-7559-14711627166476_thumb.jpg

Washed tank with tap water. Sponge filter was run in 8ft tank for a week to get good bacteria into it, was new before that. cant test water at home, i'll have to wait til aquarium opens. 8ft tank was perfect 3 days ago for all water tests.

Seeding is where you get Bacteria from an established filter and put it in the new filter, with a sponge a good way is to put it in a bucket of water drained from an established tank and have it hooked up to an air pump and running then either squeeze a dirty sponge into the water or poor gunk from a dirty canister into it, that way it can quickly start colonizing good bacteria.

I'll find a link to explain cycling a tank:)

I don't think so.. It's more likely that the fish have suffered too extreme a change.. Like starting a tank and putting a bunch of fish in creates a spike in ammonia and newer filters can't turn it into non toxic things quick enough. Also how did you Acclimatise them? If you have a fairly different ph than the Lfs you need to Acclimatise them really slowly..

I think if you take some of the water back to the shop they will test it and you will have a very high ammonia reading:( it burns their gills and makes it very hard to breath..

The way I Acclimatise when I'm unsure of their parameters is float bag for ten minutes at least, open bag add half a cup full of my water to bag, and repeat every 20 minutes till they have three times the water in the bag as when it was in transport.. This way can take over an hour easily but gives the fish time to get used to my water..

Washed tank with tap water. Sponge filter was run in 8ft tank for a week to get good bacteria into it, was new before that. cant test water at home, i'll have to wait til aquarium opens. 8ft tank was perfect 3 days ago for all water tests.

Id say if your only running the sponge filter and as you said seeded for a week, then put it in a squeaky new tank, the filter was prob not seeded enough ( needed more then a week) and your ammonia has spiked. Should do some tests, but it sounds like new tank syndrome. Very common to people starting in the hobby.

Seems like your filter/tank wasnt cycled. But thats a good volume of water. I find it hard to think that fhe fish could create enough waste over night to die from amonia....unless they had been fed ALOT.

Rainwater wouldnt have helped them. The fish u have prefer a high ph of around 8. Rainwater can be between 5-6. A sudden change in ph can kill pretty quickly.

.ur temp is a litle low for these fish too. 25c would be better suited.

Did you feed them alot yesterday? And uneaten food in the tank?

Edited by kasman

climatised 30 mins in bag in the tank, and before putting them in the water fully, i poured the tank water into the bag with the water from shop.

The fish were loving it when they got put in the tank i just dont understand:(:(

Do water change and overdose on declorinater. Take or test your water first so you know how high your readings are. It does get way easier, if you loose all your fish, pop in a few rosy barbs to help the filter and tank establish, def read and reread about cycling a tank and google new tank syndrome. It will be easier to understand that way. Chin up :-)

cant test water at home, i'll have to wait til aquarium opens.

seriously, first thing you need to do is buy a water test kit, so you can test your water anytime, i'm not having a go, but thats the first thing you should have bought, then you could have checked your readings before adding the new fish,

i'd say the tank wasn't ready for fish yet, amonia seems the best reason, or maybe the ph was different from shop water to your water, there are so many reasons this can happen,

i know it doesn't help now, but a trick i use when starting a new tank is get a sponge filter from another tank and wash it in the new tank, this adds heaps of bacteria to the water,

i'm sorry for your loss, :(

dont think temp is the prob , i have my ice bergs breeding like rabbits in 20c water and i never worry about the ph , i reakon our ph hovers around 6.9 to 7.1 as we are on tank water BUT fish that come from a higher ph tank to a lower ph tank quickly can just turn belly up quickly if the drop was drastic sorta like "old tank syndrome " effects

i would be more inclined to believe new tank syndrome to be the killer as i dont reakon there would be much active bacteria in a sponge after only one week

chin up , grab some more icebergs

just be very carefull that they are TRUE icebergs because at the age of those males they should be showing a bold white top marking

yeah sad to hear Hittman,

sounds like the cycling was rushed...sometimes you might be able to get away with it with basic freshwater guys(still not recommended)but with africans it really is a different enviroment,set of conditions that cant be rushed...I think using a completely new filter and in a completely new tank it just hasnt had enought time to set up good bacteria colonies...and have to remember rain water contains pretty much nil to help the cycle so that plus the half a tank of dechlorinated water = 3/4 of the tank un prepared for life....I personally wouldnt set up a new tank with less than 1/2 of it(prefer about 3/4s) being used tank water and a well used filter...you can get products which let you add fish "instantly" according to directions that need to be followed but still think this is the riskiest way to do it....and yeah just the long slow process of gradually acclimatising in the bag...adding tank water to bag gradually etc...try to save the males left if you can mate....maybe grab some nutrafin cycle or set up with some already established tank water if similar conditions etc....new tank syndrome..biggest killer of fish going...I think most people have experienced this in some way or another...I lost some expensive fish to a similar situation in the past mate so feel ya pain...all the best mate

thank you everyone, i believe its "New Tank Syndrome" i thought i did enough to prepare the tank. i've used a small filter in my small tank, and all fish survived. even though it has been out of water does it still contain good bacteria?

Does anyone have any iceberg blues for sale or know where i can get them? they will be attending my other tank. the good one :)

The good bacteria needs to stay wet to really be "alive" I'd say...a dry pre used filter is still better than a completely new filter I reckon but yeah best to get it from one aquatic enviroment to the next as soon as possible i'd say.....and put a WTB(want to buy) in the livestock section mate...sure someone could help you out...good luck getting a new colony mate...and either way the experience will help you in the future ;)

For them to die overnight like that I'd suspect something drastically different in water parameters....

Even if tank wasn't seeded properly and the filters weren't mature, they would have lasted at least a few days before any ammonia build up...

Temp seems bit low too, personally I'd be keeping at them 25degrees minimum.

Really need to see water test results.

Without them it's like driving blindfolded.

Jmo...