martib

how many fish in a 3fter

hey all im going to get some 5-6cm blue turqs from a lfs, about 8 as thats what i can afford.and hope to get a pair or two out of them.

got a few questions,how long can i keep 8 in a standard 3fter with good filtation,and when im sellecting the fish,as i want a good mix of boys and girls is there anything i can look for to get a good mix or do i just get the best looking fish and hope for the best??

let me know your thoughts

cheers marty

at that size would go some larger some smaller in the tank go on domanance for males and coulor pick good solid fish.will get away with 3ft for 6/12 months but will need to be on top of water as they grow. allow 60/70 lt per adult fish.

If you intend to keep them in the 3ftr long term, then I'd suggest simply putting the money you'd spend on 8 smaller fish in to 2 adults. If you know what you're looking for it's not too hard to find a male and female when looking at adults. There's also plenty of sellers that will sell you a confirmed pair.

Is this the 3 footer you setup last night?

how about you add 1 fish

and see how it goes

then maybe in a week

add 1 more

and then wait a week

and then if all is testing right

consider adding a few

otherwise

sounds like you are asking for a wipeout

do you have a 6x2x2 to move the discus into when they are mature?

If you put a lot of fish into a tank that has very little bacteria keeping the tank healthy it's asking for problems. Discus aren't the easiest fish to keep especially with very little knowledge.

It sounds like you think DFF's info isn't worth taking in? You should change that outlook as in another life he was a fish!

Funny question you ask, for best growth I would say about 25-30 in a 3 ft tank with 2 100% water changes a day with just airstone, no filter. But I am also guessing that since you don't care too much for the fish (by not maturing the filter), I am also guessing you won't do the water changes needed to keep the fish healthy in this type of tank so would advise against it.

Funny question you ask, for best growth I would say about 25-30 in a 3 ft tank with 2 100% water changes a day with just airstone, no filter. But I am also guessing that since you don't care too much for the fish (by not maturing the filter), I am also guessing you won't do the water changes needed to keep the fish healthy in this type of tank so would advise against it.

If you've seen some of the pics of the fish Rex82 has posted on another forum you'd understand he knows his stuff, so if you choose not to listen to the rest of us, at least listen to him..

You say it's only a short term thing, but if you knew anything about raising young Discus, then you'd understand that this is when being kept in sub-optimal conditions has it's greatest effect. You run the risk of permanently stunting the fish, meaning they'll never achieve the large, round 'dinner plate' shape good breeders strive for..

Good luck :rolleyes:

Best growth with discus is when they are packed in tight so no one fish can dominate over another, fed heavily. The no filter is to stop there being any cycle in the tank counteracted with large water changes to get rid of waste. Always change the water after feeding the dirtiest food and before leaving the fish for any period of time.

Failing that method the second best is to have matured filters and lower numbers in the tank, yeah it's less work this way but you will only get maybe 3-4 fish out of 10 that grow to decent fish.

Breeding discus is an all in or not at all deal pretty much, everyone expects quality and if you don't deliver you will be stuck with a bad name and fish that are good for lawn food and that's about it.

If you're in it for the money I hope you have a lot to start with, once you have spent half of it I would say its a good time to sell up and put your money into playing the lotto or pokies or something, odds are probably better.