martib

how long before chemicals are gone

It would depend on what chemicals are in the water and what product your using to remove them, your best bet would be to take markfnq up on his offer for some seasoned water, This way you could drop the fish strait in and just control any ammonia spike.

If your going to put your seasoned sponges strait into town water you may as well just start from the start as you will kill off any biology you have in them.

what chemicals were you referring to Marty?

Need to know what chemicals you're talking about first?

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, chlorine, sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, hydrochloric acid etc. the list could go on with thousands of chemicals in the world

You'll always have die off when using brand new water and adding seeded filters then it'll boot up again with more available food for the bacteria

Supachlor is good where it uses broad spectrum to remove heavy metals. I am just a bit worried as I am wondering is it heavy metals, acids chemicals as in toxic chemicals or cleaning chemicals or silicon chemicals? With out know what you mean when you say chemical it means there is a guess and when you guess you do not get the best answer.

If it was me I would get the system up and going and put in a trial fish - a fish just to test the water to see if it is ok and lives or dies as the water is toxic to it.

Test kits as mentioned are a good help to know what you are dealing with and getting some discus and being wrapped can be quickly turned to devastation if they are floating the next day.

Some things that would help would be:

How long has the filter been running on the tank.

What have you added to the water to get it to where it is now.

Ammonia - Nitrate and Nitrite levels (take a water sample to a shop) so you know how your water is.

These are some things that will help get your answer that you are looking for.

ok lets start again,i have filled a tank up with tap water and ive just added a dechlorinater to the water,i have seeded filters that im going to add to the tank tomorrow.

so the question im asking would it be safe to add fish tomorrow afternoon.

you will need a water test kit to see the cycle through,even though you have seeded filters it still takes a little while for a good bacteria colony to colonise,i would also add a raw prawn to the tank to up the ammonia to around 2-4ppm and then let it break down(take prawn out when ammonia reaches 2-4ppm)it might take a week or two depending on the size of the tank and also the size of the seeded filters

iwhen i done mine i put the prawn in a media bag so it did not fall apart and go every where

You need to cycle your tank first. Even with a seeded filter as mentioned fresh non established water will kill the bacteria. Leave the discus and throw in some cheap fish, just a couple, run for four weeks then get ya discus. If you dont do it rigjt youll kill discus really quick..

yeh but the bacteria in filters from the african tank, will die when you put it in the different water (lower Ph).

Its like if you put an african from 8.2PH water into a soft water tank (ie somelike a PH of 6 which is where i'd be putting ph for discus) its going to die from shock, your biofilter will do the same thing,

you need to get filters from a tank which has a low PH if you want them to survive.