Mackayman

Beef Heart, Why ?

Made ma first batch a diy tucker for ma americans today. Beef heart, fish, prawns, vegies, spirulina, etc. Really pleased with the way it turned out. Food is done and set, have fed them some, They smashed it. :)

Whats got me wondering, Why do all the Red meat recipes recommend Beef Heart ?

Seemed to me it was a lot of work to cut out all the heart muscle, sinew, arterys, etc.

After all the effort, theres still "undesirable" bits in the mix :mad:

Would it be better to use a real quality piece of meat ? like maybe a bit of lean Eye Fillet ? :confused:

I dont know :confused: , hoping some of you more experienced peeps can help me out

Franks

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

I don't understand why feed beef at all? Unless your keeping crocs fish don't often get up on the bank and steal cattle? Seems to me it's fed to increase growth at the expense of the health of the fish? I may be wrong.. Just seems strange to feed it?

Yeah I agree with Matmatmat, it seems to be a very strange and unnatural food to feed a fish

Seemed to me it was a lot of work to cut out all the heart muscle

If you cut out all of the heart muscle, what were you left with? as the heart IS a muscle (unless I'm reading what you wrote in the wrong form)

I guess I meant, fish don't usually eat red meat

pellets and flakes are composed of those natural ingredients all in one mix, regardless if the form of the food is unnatural - the composition is more natural compared to meat from a cow

I don't understand why feed beef at all? Unless your keeping crocs fish don't often get up on the bank and steal cattle? Seems to me it's fed to increase growth at the expense of the health of the fish? I may be wrong.. Just seems strange to feed it?

Yeah Mat, understand and appreciate your point of view, something im well aware of. Just that I only got a display tank an a lill red meat really seems to "Beef" :P em up.

Sorry Bud, not a discussion I want to get into. Just wondering, why beef heart instead of a finer quality beef ?.

Possibly because info trickles down from the big breeders and they use Beef Heart cause its cheap ? Maybe does the same thing ?

I dunno, thats why I ask

Cheers

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

i'm sure fish don't grow vegie gardens :)

in the wild fish would eat certain amounts of meat, a bird dies and falls in the water, a croc kills a roo,

i think its more that the heart is the leanest piece of meat, and its been used for years, jules used to breed oscars and used heart years ago,

how many africans would eat squid, but its used in lots of home made food, it comes down to what works for you,

Made ma first batch a diy tucker for ma americans today. Beef heart, fish, prawns, vegies, spirulina, etc. Really pleased with the way it turned out.

Brendan

Brendan, I'm looking to brew a batch of home made fish goop soon too, any chance you could post your recipe and preparation methods on the post I created to capture all the good ideas out there. (http://www.qldaf.com/forums/projects-diy-journals-products-technical-discussion-11/home-made-fish-food-recipes-72434/). I'm keen to find out how people grind, cut, shred up the foods and then get the mush to hold together so it doesn't dissolve instantly in the water and pollute the tank.

If you look into what most the big breeders of discus feed you will find it's a beef heat mix.

Not having a shoot at anyone but the first thing thats said when this discussion come up is, you never see a fish get out of the water to eat a beef heart , but when have you ever seen a fish go to the cupboard open a can of manufactured fish food and eat it ? or get out of it's natural environment jump into a glass tank full of toxic chemical ? There is no proof that beef heart is bad for fish.

But i could Imagen if a red blooded animal fell into a river the fish would eat it.

Edited by gingerbeer

Brendan, I'm looking to brew a batch of home made fish goop soon too, any chance you could post your recipe and preparation methods on the post I created to capture all the good ideas out there. (http://www.qldaf.com/forums/projects-diy-journals-products-technical-discussion-11/home-made-fish-food-recipes-72434/). I'm keen to find out how people grind, cut, shred up the foods and then get the mush to hold together so it doesn't dissolve instantly in the water and pollute the tank.

Done mate.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/projects-diy-journals-products-technical-discussion-11/home-made-fish-food-recipes-72434/#post476106

Cheers

Brendan

After a quick google, I think if your going to feed beef than the heart is used as its leaner and way lower in fatty acids that block arteries. And yep gotta cut out all the **** to get to the good bits:) nothing good is easy!

thats what jules told me, lol, we had this chat the other day, she used a grater and her oscars loved it,

thats what jules told me, lol, we had this chat the other day, she used a grater and her oscars loved it,

oxheart is not by any means the best food and will in theory (anyone that has definative proof please supply) lower the fishes life span via too much animal fat. in my early fish keeping experiences i used it alot and had alot of trouble with HITH/HLLE. maybe not directly related sure (though a drastic change in diet from the norm) and it certainly makes the fish grow fast. i dont use it anymore nowadays but when i did i found cutting it into large cubes and freezing it then using a hand grater allowed all the meat to be taken and the sinuet to be left behind. HTH ;)

i used it alot and had alot of trouble with HITH/HLLE. maybe not directly related sure (though a drastic change in diet from the norm) and it certainly makes the fish grow fast.

Tks for coment Bud, As i say, It's a display only tank, :cool: , jus wundering, what is HLLE, I jus lazy an had too many many ales ta botha googiling

Brendan

Looks like I'll not be feeding my fish beef heart anymore. Will

Be investing in other forms of frozen foods. I just Thoight it was good because they put on a heap of size

there would be as many people for it as against it. i dont use it anymore but dont totally discount its use. its really a personal choice of a fish keeper and apart from the growth aspect of it i cant find another legitimate reason for it being a better food then pellets or live. JMHO

and yeah as matmatmat said Head and Lateral Line Erosion :)

Looks like I'll not be feeding my fish beef heart anymore. Will

Be investing in other forms of frozen foods. I just Thoight it was good because they put on a heap of size

I disagree, I will continue to feed my Americans beef heart, in appropriate doses.

A varied diet is the key i reckon.

As I stated in my OP, It's a display tank, I want em big, flash, showey and healthy

They are centerpiece in my lounge room.

Do you have a comment re Beef Heart Vs other Quality red met ??

Cheers

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

I disagree, I will continue to feed my Americans beef heart, in appropriate doses.

A varied diet is the key i reckon/

As I stated in my OP, It's a display tank, I wan em big, flash, showey and healthy

They are centerpiece in my lounge room.

Do you have a comment reBeef Heart Vs other Quality red met ??

Cheers

Brendan

ox heart is used because it is softer (like kidney and liver) and therfor more digestable and chewable. the problem you can have with cuts of meat is that they take longer to digest and can cause (in some instances) bloat. protein is the biggest reason red meat (ox heart is used) as its what makes you grow ie muscle gainers in the human world. red meat will beat prawn and fish meal hands down in that field ;)

It's really all about personal choice, i have feed my fish beef heat for years and never had a problem with it, most people that have seen my discus nearly always comment on the size and how healthy they are.

But everyone to there own and this is a subject that will never be agreed on.