Rastinger62

Tropheus help please

Yay, I'm getting my first colony of tropheus :)

I know these fish need like 50% water changes weekly but I'm sumping my system very soon and unsure if these types of fish will work in a tank with a sump set up. I know who the sump system works and water will be changed throughout the tanks.

I thing it would work or should I say I can't work out a reason why it wouldn't but I would like peoples views on what was best for them and prefer they were using a sump system.

I will be housing malawi and tangs throughout the system

My question is:

1) Will this work in a sump system or do I need a separate tank to house the tropheus?

2) Any tips on tropheus with the water change side of thing which I'm unware of?

3) Will I have to move all my fish in the tanks to sump the system? bare in mind all tanks have ran for 3 weeks since starting the change over with cycled water from my other tanks. no dead fish and levels are fine :)

4) bare tank for tropheus or what substrate is best?

5) Your opinion - what do you feed your tropheus?

6) Any tips on breeding?

Thanks to anyone with any info.

Some questions might sound dumb but I would prefer to be safe than sorry with some more experienced peoples comments

Thanks in advanced

What type of tropheus are getting?

1. I can't see why not, unless your sump setup are for American then it would be a no but for Malawi should be fine. You might need more coral sand or bi-carb substrate to bring PH level up abit more.

2. WC 20% -30% weekly should be good but honestly I WC fornightly and my breeding no problem (cus I'm lazy *don't learn from my bad example*)

3. Don't understand what you mean

4. Up to you but I use bi-carb substrate

5. I feed my NLS and spirulina flake every now and then I feed them algea wafer. You can feed them duck weed because they are pure vegetarian species, starve them once every fornight would do them good.

6. They should breed if you have to right conditions but try to get 2 to maximum of 3 male and more female as possible (ratio maybe 1m : 5 to 6 F) but all depend on your tank and how big the colony is, others members may add more usefull infor if I miss out any. Good luck

Cheers, Ryan

Edited by Supercobwe

1. I can't see why not, unless your sump setup are for American then it would be a no but for Malawi should be fine. You might need more coral sand or bi-carb substrate to bring PH level up abit more.

2. WC 20% -30% weekly should be good but honestly I WC fornightly and my breeding no problem (cus I'm lazy *don't learn from my bad example*)

5. I feed my NLS and spirulina flake every now and then I feed them algea wafer. You can feed them duck weed because they are pure vegetarian species, starve them once every fornight would do them good.

6. They should breed if you have to right conditions but try to get 2 to maximum of 3 male and more female as possible (ratio maybe 1m : 5 to 6 F) but all depend on your tank and how big is the colony is, others members may add more infor if I miss out any. Good luck

Cheers, Ryan

2. For sump maybe 15-20% weekly should be ok because you might top it up water in the sump anyway.

4. Never, never feed them high protein pellet or anything with high protein, they will bloat.

6. Only recommended ratio but you don't have to follow, some people get smaller ratio than that and some get bigger ratio.

Edited by Supercobwe

6. They should breed if you have to right conditions but try to get 2 to maximum of 3 male and more female as possible (ratio maybe 1m : 5 to 6 F) but all depend on your tank and how big the colony is, others members may add more usefull infor if I miss out any. Good luck

Cheers, Ryan

Thank you Ryan once again for your valuable info :)

3) I was meaning turning the system from a normal tank to a sump tank system. I was a bit worried more about draining a tank while I'm trying to prefect the flow through all tanks and sump. I really don't have the room to re house all my fish if that's the case in spare tanks.

I'm getting my F1 german bred tropheus moliro (red) from barefootexplorer and he has had them breeding fine but a bit unsure of the ratio. They looked great on the you tube video I seen of the actual colony :)

I think I will get some different food for them thou. I don't wanna see bloat. I think I would cry lol. thanks Ryan :)