Hey QueenslandeR,

This is a line bred variant. At Fisfchicks' they were labled as Super Red which I believe is another trade name for the Double Red line bred varient. However a couple looked more like they were Red Gold varients, which I believe my male is, and gingerbeer thinks the same.

I am not sure if there is a natural varient with full red in the caudel fin. I think I may have seen a photo on Apistogramma Forums of one the agassizii varients with a red and blue caudel fin.

Some of the wild varients are are much nicer than the line bred varients, but we don't get them here in Australia. Apisto's are sorted in a system similar to the pleco L number system, called the A number system. Checkout down the very bottom of this link for the agassizii varients photo's, A numbers.

OK last installment in this riveting thread.

I knew of another LFS that has some female, German import, aggies. Petwise at Cannon Hill. They have had them for a little while, and they haven't been selling as there are only females in the tank, with none of the much more colourful males. Also $28 puts most people off buying small pale yellow fish.

So went in this afternoon. Stood in front of a tank, picked out which one of the four I wanted, and looked around for a staff member. No one around...anywhere. OK some one at the front counter, but that was it. Eventually a young girl from the doggie asked if I wanted some help. Told her I wanted to buy "that yellow fish". She not so delicately managed to catch it. Didn't hurt it amazingly.

She then says she doesn't know which fish it is. Tank had A. agassizii for $28 and A. cacatuodies for $15 labels on it. I looked at the poor girl and gave her a good natured lecture on the wrongs of having two apisto species in the one tank. Then tell her it's a cacatuodies.

And yes I am sure it's an agassizii. lol