glenncol

New tank startup

Hi all

I am after a few suggestions on starting up a new tank and was wondering you guys use.

I am setting up a 6x2x2 running Fluval fX5, i will be using a triple washed sand as the sub along with the usual driftwoof and rocks

Upon setup i will dose the tank up for prime but is there anything else you guys use suggest to go with prime?

I would also use stability aswell, and i like to run the tank for a month be fore anything decent goes in there. you could also through some bristlenose or goldfish in there after the first week to help the bacteria. But that is what i like to do everyone is diffrent.

No,, I dont use any of that. Theres a few ways of doing it, I believe the best way is to ask your local aquarium or a forum member for some mature media and put that in your filter.

There are safer ways to cycle/mature an aquarium than using someone elses filthy disease prone media in your aquarium, the best product that i have come across is Aquasonic Bio-Culture concentrate, it is expensive but is one of the best on market without the risk of introducing bad bacteria/parasites/viruses and diseases. i use it religiously and has never failed me. whereas using dirty media/filter water has!

You don't have to use media from another system or a product to cycle the tank if you don't want to. You can use plain old ammonia and cycle the filter that way. There are plenty of articles on the net about fish-less cycling.

However I think the best way of establishing a filter is to run it on an already established tank.

You don't have to use media from another system or a product to cycle the tank if you don't want to. You can use plain old ammonia and cycle the filter that way. There are plenty of articles on the net about fish-less cycling.

However I think the best way of establishing a filter is to run it on an already established tank.

Nay. why risk your fish on someone elses 'mature tank' when there are scientifically/biologically proven products that will establish the tank more efficiently? the bacteria in these products will ensure your tank has enough of the right type of bacteria to keep your tank ecologically correct from the start, i studied microbiology at one of the best uni's for aquatic studies, i may, just maybe know what im talking about.......but hey, 4yrs of a B.aS with honors in Aquaculture could have been a waste of time.......

(A few posts have been removed in order to keep the thread on track. This is a good discussion in the main - please do not let personalities hinder that.)

Glenncol, this is a great question that can never be asked enough for people relatively new to the hobby. Take your time (I know it's hard :D ) and do as much reading about the topic as possible before making a well considered decision that you are comfortable with.

As you can see there are several approaches others have taken.

You are also very fortunate to have such a good sized tank and quality filter - enjoy :D

I like to set up the tank like you've described. I am also a fan of using a very small chunk of prawn and letting it provide the waste to allow the bacteria to develop. Follow the regime of water testing to monitor the rise and fall of Ammonia and Nitrite to see when the tank has cycled. Once this has happened (and any remaining prawn has been removed) I'll do a 25% water change and add the first batch of fish.

There seems to be some good points here and just wanted to add that when adding Prime, Stability or Supachlor with a new tank I would suggest adding it every couple of days as the binding effect may break down and adding it every couple of days initially will help hold the binding effect. Adding media from someone else's tank does have its risks and you would want to trust the person you are getting it from as what ever issues they have there is a good chance that you will too. I have done it with my tanks with the problem where I created a snail population in the newer system so was not too happy with that.

If you are after a culture start up, on our web site there is Aquasonic Bio Start which is relatively cheap and thanks for the heads up on the concentrate - will add that to the next order we do with Aquasonic.

Test kits are difficult to get accurate results in the start up process as the Ammonia will read total and not just the toxic level ie Ammonium will also be shown in the test result.

A test fish is often better than a test kit.

Here is a link for the 1 liter @ $16.50 less your 10% QLDAF discount and there is the 250ml @ $6.95 less your 10% discount so you can have a bit of read about the item.

Aquasonic Bio Start 1 Liter

do you know where i can buy plain old ammonia from? never yet found it for sale (to the private sector) in australia. any help would be fantastic ;)

do you know where i can buy plain old ammonia from? never yet found it for sale (to the private sector) in australia. any help would be fantastic ;)

prob been removed from sale after 9/11

lol

I aint gonna say I have used cloudy ammonia before with success, due to the fact I dont want to cop the blame if someone stuffs up!!

To the original poster, I have 3 suggestions.

1) buy an API freshwater master test kit. That way you can track the ammonia and nitrite spikes AND you can use nitrate tests to decide when to water change. The dual pH will come in handy no matter what live stock you choose. Always write down your test results.

2) add in a pinch of good quality fish food to get the cycle started. May as well feed the tank the usual food it will be getting. New Life Spectrum 1mm can be fed to almost every fish on the planet so is a good buy.

3) consider using the newly released API quickstart product. As much as I am a bit..... well shocked by some of the claims....... we have been getting really good feedback on how well it works for cycling new tanks.

:)

and no

I dont actually work for API

but....... Dr Wellfish is still my homeboy!

prob been removed from sale after 9/11

lol

I aint gonna say I have used cloudy ammonia before with success, due to the fact I dont want to cop the blame if someone stuffs up!!

To the original poster, I have 3 suggestions.

1) buy an API freshwater master test kit. That way you can track the ammonia and nitrite spikes AND you can use nitrate tests to decide when to water change. The dual pH will come in handy no matter what live stock you choose. Always write down your test results.

2) add in a pinch of good quality fish food to get the cycle started. May as well feed the tank the usual food it will be getting. New Life Spectrum 1mm can be fed to almost every fish on the planet so is a good buy.

3) consider using the newly released API quickstart product. As much as I am a bit..... well shocked by some of the claims....... we have been getting really good feedback on how well it works for cycling new tanks.

:)

and no

I dont actually work for API

but....... Dr Wellfish is still my homeboy!

I have read that if you use some of these products you will have to use it all the time for some reason, is the Aquasonic or API one like this?

No the Aquasonic is a start up for the Bio and when the course is completed it will then continue to multiply and colonise further with the bio load and filtration housing and once this has been done there is no need to keep doing it. It is a kickstart but you will not need to be adding it months down the track. I would expect it to be the same with what Donny is saying but will leave it to him to confirm.