Chris Tschumy

Opinions on American Cichlids in 80L tank

I have been told different opinions about this and would like to try and get my head straight before I make any purchases.

I have an 80L tank that I wish to put an American cichlid into (medium to large variety)

The fish will be housed alone as that tank size is way too small for multiples.

Just wondering what people think and any recommended cichlid species

Thanks

There's not even a compromise, large Americans in 80L that should even be an idea.

Unless its dwarf varieties I would completely steer away from cichlids.

And for the love of god please please please don't use the excuse "I'll buy a bigger tank in a couple of months"

There's not even a compromise, large Americans in 80L that should even be an idea.

Unless its dwarf varieties I would completely steer away from cichlids.

And for the love of god please please please don't use the excuse "I'll buy a bigger tank in a couple of months"

I completely agree with this viewpoint. The good news is there is lots of things you can do with smaller americans. Obviously dwarf south Americans are a brilliant suggestion, but there are other options. I look forward to actual tank size measurements and ideas on what you can do....

Ok. Measured the tank and it appears to be 48L. Cichlid idea is officially s****ped.

Nope - redirected, not scraaped. Post size of tank. and consider keyholes, apistogramma, rams, checkerboards, nanacara, laetacara, so many options without trying. That is before we go to other countries and consider tanganyikan's.

48 litres. That is a tank with dimensions smaller than a 60cm by 30cm by 30cm.

Could you please post actual tank dimensions. Your tank may be a taller tank which in turn means it will have smaller floor dimensions, and this is much more important than actual volume.

We want to help you, but without all possible information, we're shooting in the dark and could easily provide advice that turns out to be bad advice.

Tank currently has no water or anything. Don't want to set anything up until I decide what goes in

Bad idea imo, Set it up and go buy a couple of goldfish to cycle the tank for a few weeks before worrying about what fish to get.

Bad idea imo, May aswell get it going to get the filtration seeded, Set it up and go buy a couple of goldfish to cycle the tank for a few weeks.

Since its such a tiny tank, imo goldfish would put out too much waste, maybe some rosy barbs, or guppys..something a little less full on in the waste dept to cycle?