I have a five feet fish tank with mixed tropical community including clownloaches, redtail shark, rainbows, purpled spotted gudgeons, gouramis, panchax, clown rasbora, angel, cories and whiptails. My aquarium plants covered about 40% of the fish tank. My fish tank equipment are Aquael filter with UV sterilizer inside, heater and Aqua Medic CO2. My C)2 run at one bubble per second for 7 hours/day. My aquarium water been tested and is fine. I have the CO2 turned off during the day. Yet if I have no airstone aerator on during the night my fish wake up gasping in the morning. My only assumption is the lack of oxygen because as the airstone is turned on after a length of time the fish feel better. My question if the problem is oxygen can I achieve balance between CO2 and oxygen. Is there a leak in the CO2 unit?

i would think you would have a separate aerator to you co2 unit. The aerator should be running at all times...do u have a diffuser for ur co2? is it a proper unit or a DIY job?

also dont redtails like to eat plants?...

I assume you have the co2 turned off at night rather than during the day. If not that is your problem.

How many of each fish do you have - first guess is too many fish and it is OK durring the day as CO2 in is being used to put o2 in the water. At night no more o2 going in and hence lack of oxygen.

Thanks for the response, yes I do actually have a seperate aerator from my CO2 unit and I do turn my C02 off at night. I have notice when I have the CO2 turn off completely for the day and the night the fish are gasping the next morning. I suspect the CO2 unit is slowly leaking CO2 through the diffuser in to the fish tank. What do you think?

It's got something to do with plant respiration. After a period of photosynthesis the plants will absorb oxygen or something along those lines. You should run the airator overnight, it will also help rid unused CO2 to have a more stable pH. Don't quote me on this as i am only just starting to learn the ropes of serious planted tanks.

Cheers,

Rusty