Predator Rob

10' x 3' x 3' predator tank build

Hello,

I know that Im new in here so I would like to show you my new project.

I have decided to build a 20mm thick Acrylic tank to house my fish

Any input from you guys would be very helpfull as I have not done a project this size before.

post-7638-14711627238436_thumb.jpg

post-7638-14711627238938_thumb.jpg

post-7638-14711627239265_thumb.jpg

post-7638-14711627239519_thumb.jpg

post-7638-14711627239858_thumb.jpg

lol Im hopeing to have the tank sitting on top by Thursday after I cut a window into the wall behind then have it filled

with water by Friday. i am looking for a 3ft tank to use for an overflow for the 6ft sump

I went with Acrylic because of the ease to work with and the weight.

i had a 4 meter tank when I lived in Vic and after it was built you couldnt do anything with it. ( ended up smashing it up )

beleve it or not, my new tank can be lifted by 2 guys, It weighs about the same as my 5 foot glass tank

Great project!

I know someone who had a similar size tank.....cost $20,000 from USA

Stand wasn't designed properly and it split down one seam.....owner got insurance and decided not to replace or repair so the builder smashed it to remove it!

Glue one seam and design a New stand and it would have been perfect!

Might pay to have stand checked by an engineer.....re deflection tolerances

If you haven't already done so...

Thx guys for your consern, Im a welder by trade and now in the building industry.

Assure you that the stand that I have built will hold the weight and if your worried about the slab?

My shed slab is 250mm 40Mpa concrete. ( I kinda do things over the top :-) )

Just a little bit more explaination of what I've said......

No doubt the stand and slab will hold the weight.....

but....will the steel deflect under load a greater amount than the tank can cope with?

If it does the stand won't collapse....but it may put extra load on seams of the tank?

This tank is outside the normal size range....and you did say you were looking for input?

No worries....your call...Hope you are right!

That looks awesome. I would have maybe chucked one more upright in either long side but what you have should be fine. I am a boilermaker and also over engineer stuff when i make it. each upright piece of rhs will only be supporting a bit over 300 kg so it should never move. all the best with it and i look forward to seeing the finished setup

bah who needs engineers, they dont know anything anyway :D, well electrical ones dont seem to know what they are doing, that and they dont seem to design stuff to AS3000.

back on topic, thats an impressive tank, makes my 7.5x2x2 look tiny.

All you need in there now is a Jack...

Engineers or no Engineers, this tank looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product set up and full of lurvely fishies :)

Good luck with the rest of your project.

20mm thick Acrylic ??

Will that be thick enough for a tank that tall ??

I love watching builds a getting sweet ideas from them.

This is good to be sawesome.

Waiting and watching.

Can't wait to see it full.

=)

Ok guys, here is an update. Today I pucked up and installed the window in the wall behind where the tank will be placed, Epoxy sealed the concrete floor

and installed the 20mm compressed cement sheet on the top of the stand for the main tank to sit on.

Tomorrow I am picking up the 15mm foam to be used for under the tank, The Hydor 3300 skimmer and 10 bags of 3mm crushed coral sand.

I will be having beers tomorrow with my engineer and I will be asking him about the stand ( he is comming around anyways to have a look at a 6ft marine setup for his office )

I will post pics tomorrow when I have finished for the day.

O and I have orderd 4000 leters of NSW ( Natural Salt Water ) for monday.