chronic

Aquaponics with ornamental fish??!

I've been stuffing around with 'aquaponics' for a couple of years, here are some pics (excuse the messy yard).

Ive hooked up a solar panel to a 12v car battery that runs a 12v dc water pump on a timer. (flood and drain). It drains back into the bottom through the gravel and plants which oxygenates and cleans the water.

I have Silver Perch in there and im really sick and tired of how slow they are growing. Ive had them in there comming up to a year and a half. mind you I have grown heaps of veggies ! Soo I figured if I forget about trying fish I can eat, how about fish I could breed?

How can I heat the water?

OR

What fish could handle cold temps (in qld)

Cheers

Chronic

post-3476-14711627243514_thumb.jpg

post-3476-14711627243678_thumb.jpg

post-3476-14711627243811_thumb.jpg

post-3476-14711627243967_thumb.jpg

post-3476-14711627244119_thumb.jpg

You would be a bit limited to either natives - rainbows might be nice or ya guppies, swordtails.

Heating can be too hard basket other than your hothouse style but be too hard to hold the heat over night. Will keep an eye on the thread as I am interested.

Procull would be good to hear from too with this.

At least summer is coming for a short term solution.

that might work but keeping the temp drop at night at bay would be hard, especially if its cloudy during the day. I have heard of people who bury their IBC's useing the ground as a insulator but that calls for some extreme digging :(

i have rosy barbs in my aquaponics system.The main reason is because the system is built with blue 200ltr drums and it would't house bigger fish.

i have heard of people having compost heaps near there systems with black poly pipe coiled at the bottom to pump the water through.

i would be looking at how heavly stocked your system is and and feeding rates , you should be able to get silvers to plate size easly in 12 months ,

i shut down all bar 1/2 of a ibc at the begining of june because water temps were to cold and the jade perch were dropping off (even the redclaw are looking dodgy)

from mid spring to late aut we grow out ALL out african fry and b nose in there .the growth rates and colors are better i assume to the algae the get to graze on and the buckets of flying ants and lucerne fleas that fall in at night

Chronic, as a horticulturalist, I'd say your plants look hungry. When I 1st heard of aquaponics I personally didn't believe it would work as to have the nutrients at a level suitable for your plants, the water would be toxic to the fish so I figured it would be too big a compromise. However I haven't tried it personally and am willing to be corrected if anyone can.

I would breed pacific blue eyes. they may be small, but they are in demand as a native, frog friendly, mosquito controller for outdoor ponds. lfs usually sell them for like $6 each lol.

They dont eat their own young, so you can rapidly raise millions of them if you have mops and keep up the feeding.

Sell them in bulk on gumtree, and they should more than pay their way.

There are others like white cloud minnows and golden medaka, but they are not native.

as for food fish, barcoo grunter AKA jade perch

srsly silvers just cant compare to the awesome that is the jade perch.

Wonderful idea, I did some of this years ago but recently I was talking to a friend of my parents who does it successfully semi commercially, look forward to the tour he offered me next time I am up that way.. Will take lots of pics and put them up as I too believe its a great idea...

Edited by Karen