Anthony93

profit and easy breeding fish

Hi guys just wondering what would be a good easy breeding fish that i could profit on. Was looking into breeding some peppermints once they mature but not really sure yet. Any suggestions please

hey Anthony,..when you say make a "profit on"...how much is considered decent profit??..some are quite happy to get costs covered etc...and let the fish pay for themselves so to speak....if your looking at an "income" or making larger amounts of money...you'd have to look at expensive/rare fish which require experience/knowledge/patience or else its an expensive mistake and a LOSS of income....or else you have to look at breeding big as in being able to produce and raise lots of fry...and if these are common fish be prepared to sell at very cheap prices to compete with the market..my personal opinion is to start with fish you like and enjoy....once you feel comfortable maybe lash out and get some rarer varieties of these types(this way you have relative experience) and your still enjoying your fish...

extra advice, dont put all the eggs in one basket, try iof you can 2 or 3 types,

ELEC Yellows sell all day long

EnDler Guppies

Peps Make Money but can be hard

Ask your Local LFS if they will take some fish and what type, they can swap for food etc

extra advice, dont put all the eggs in one basket, try iof you can 2 or 3 types,

ELEC Yellows sell all day long

EnDler Guppies

Peps Make Money but can be hard

Ask your Local LFS if they will take some fish and what type, they can swap for food etc

i'd add lf marble bn to that list, there are never enough here for sale,

If it were that easy we would all be wealthy!

Easy to breed , convicts...

Profitable, not so much ...

There isn't much to be made keeping fish on a small scale:(

Give a man a gun he can rob a bank...

Give a man a bank he can rob the world!

You want money , buy a bank!

I do not not want to put a dampner on you but if you are going to do you need to look at a lot things. I do hope you go well but at the same time a lot of consideration needs to go into it too.

To sell profitably you have to look at where you fit in. Shops have over heads so they have to cover that and make a profit and to be competitive you have to come under their prices. There are a lot of hobbyists that do it for the love where they cover their costs so there is no profit so you need to be competitive.

Where are you going to sell them? If it is on here then it is very difficult to make money as there is a lot of competition and pretty much the cheapest around.

Do your home work. There is a lot of work involved, care, food, keeping water conditions and takes a fair bit of time.

Breeding is not a matter of a tank and a couple of fish. You also have to get good fish in order to sell good fish and know how to breed them.

A lot of people start off with the idea and run into it and end up a train wreck, its happened many times before you and will happen many times after you so just do not be a statistic. Have a read of the thread of http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/why-fishrooms-closing-down-why-does-seem-like-hobby-slowing-73258/

If you pick fish to breed keep in mind that you generally will want to stay with that group and water conditions to be similar ie Catfish, Americans, Africans, Betta and so on.

How does your water that you can provide be a good staple for the fish you want to do ie having rainwater for Africans or hard water for softwater fish is not a good idea.

Find something you like.

Good luck with it and no harm giving it a go and start small and build upon it and remember one mistake can wipe out all your fish. You need to know your diseases and medications especially when starting off and buying fish.

Quarantine, Quarantine, Quarantine make sure you do as it is another big mistake that happens when you do not.

Edited by The Tech Den

when you breed fish for a profit

it becomes less of a hobby

and more of as chore IMO.

but i would say the money is in the rarer fish, like some harder to get parachromis...

Theres an old saying I like "to make a million dollars by breeding fish, first start with 2 million, once you have spent the first million walk away with the second."

Breeding for profit? L046, if you successfully breed 200 of them and raised them up to 3cm then you would make $$$$$$

Average $800 to $1000 each for 3-4cm x 200= ?????? you can do the maths

Breeding for profit? L046, if you successfully breed 200 of them and raised them up to 3cm then you would make $$$$$$

breeding them is one thing, finding people to buy them is another.

i thiknk this sort of thing is where someone can set a new lower price and this will get others to come down on price too!

Can see all the newbie "entrepeneurs" eyes boggling..:)..reckon you might have to drop the price a bit to get rid of 200...especially near the end...once the real deals are weeded out from the "watchers"...even $500 is a bit of money for a single fish and still a risk if your inexperienced...some people dont breed/release mass quantities so the market also isnt flooded...and you dont jeopardise your own selling angle.....

Lmfao just that easy hey !

some people dont breed/release mass quantities so the market also isnt flooded...and you dont jeopardise your own selling angle.....

imagine if that happened with common bn, :) nobody would want to buy mine then,

haha so im thinking i might slow down and just be starting off for now lol. i have had convicts and had them breed for me but just used the fry for bate for my devil lol. so i understand need to have a good understanding and setup before breeding for profit and obviously money haha but im thinking i might still give it a try with the peppermints

I reckon if you like peppermints and the journey of learning all about them,what makes them happy etc then go for gold..if it all works out and your supplying some in the future for some extra pocket money...then its a winner... ;)...

yeah i wouldnt want to be getting anything to expensive then them dieing on me because i dont know how to look after then properly. so i think to start with something not to expesive which ive done some homework on

breeding them is one thing, finding people to buy them is another.

i thiknk this sort of thing is where someone can set a new lower price and this will get others to come down on price too!

Lmfao just that easy hey !

It all true that not alot of people can afford L046 so unless you sell them much cheaper than other seller.