Benno22

Whats hot and whats not?

I just want to start a discussion here...What fish atm are 'In' or popular? What type of fish are not so popular with aquariums enthusiasts these days? And what fish in the next year or so do you think will be all the hype?

Me personally, I love Americans. I've tried it all but the yanks are hands down winners.

personally for me in the next year it will be the harder to get americans showing their faces

we have already seen light of parachromis fredrichstalli which is promising for the hobby.

i feel that we will see some of the rarer viejas like argentae and breihdori soon

americans will rise again hahaha

for me nothing else compared to americans, to me i cannot stand small colourful fish they are just to simple and easily satisfied hahaha

popularity is going on what people like which can change pretty quickly based on whats available in the market me thinks...rare fish are popular when available... but then turn cold when too many are on the market....some fish I've found always have their "likers" are festae(big good looking americans),jds(nice looking fish especially the splits and then the electric blues add another dimension to them),rivs(semi-big good looking americans),frontosa always have fans (big good looking fish) as do calvus & comps(unique looking fish)...malawi in general for adding colours...rare tangs...top quality goldies...someone mentioned shrimps are "in" at the moment...I'd agree..;).its something different in the market I think and people are enjoying the smaller scale too I reckon...big predators always have fans...look at pbass & saratogas..always snapped up when available.;)..the L numbers too for both rarity and variety...i reckon it can change based on the quality of the fish thats available too...reckon it might be too hard just doing individual fish types(it can change as soon as a shipment turns up or breeders release new stock) and I think its more a case of the rare and/or top quality fish IN and common bad quality fish OUT.....

Atm bettas and goldies seem to be the cool thing, oh and little red and white prawns too.

Personally I think the next big thing is going to be the rarer americans like bocourti, festae etc.

You dont see alot of them around but people seem to snap them up quick smart when they come up for sale

I think its pretty funny....there was no lack of bocourti youngstas on here a couple of months back and people werent bitin...which I reckon was odd(not bad as it meant I was able to grab some :))....but they are a pretty rare good looking american....but I do agree CAV...I think when people see more adult fish out and about(which is what there hasnt been much of)...the wow factor will kick in again and people will be chasing....

Apistos..people will keep down grading in size, and there are some awesome dwarfs out there.

And one or two killer variations that will hit the market towards the end of the year..muuahahaa.

bristle nose are hot and in............. :) everybody wants a couple to "clean that green stuff" off your glass,

not that i have many of them........... :)

but i do agree that the smaller fish seem to be coming back in, not everybody can have several 6/8ft tanks, and with the power costs rising,

Thanks everyone, some very good input there. I wonder if anyone with an aquarium retail background would have anything to add? These people would be the experts in seeing the trends come and go.

have worked retail wholesale and breeding on and off for the last 15 years in qld and trends come and go and its time apistos and tangs come round for another run and with planted tanks picking up apistos will follow