Juggla

Red/Pink Guppy Gravid Spot

Hi all,

Just a question regarding my female guppies. I have four in a tank in garage so they can give birth, cos they look pretty pregnant. They have been in there about 2 weeks now. I have found about 20 babies in there near the start of the two weeks, then 10 again two days ago. The females still look very heavily pregnant (or really fat at least).

Two of the four females have extremely pink/red gravid spots. Does this indicate anything in particular?

Will post pictures of them below.

This is the first one. She swims around a fair bit and is pretty active.

IMG_0704_s.jpg[/attachment:3bb557ll]

This is the second one, which swims around a lot less, and seems to just hide away in corners from the other three fish.

IMG_0706_s.jpg[/attachment:3bb557ll]

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all.

Hi Juggla,

The gravid spot shows the development of the babies from eggs till fully developed. When it is dark/black, it is the colour of the eyes of the little ones. I'm thinking a lighter colour means they are still eggs (probably orange or brownish).

Also, the females in the photos are of two different body types...the first one is a blonde/gold body, while the other one is gray. Hence, IMO, the babies from the blonde/gold female will be lighter in colour too.

There is nothing to worry about, especially if they are active and still eating.

Hope this helps.

Daren.

Thanks Daren.

Both of the females are not eating. And the grey one is not really swimming. Her tail is not moving and she is just floating on her side on top of the weeds in tank now. Although, her gills are still going.

On advice from Brad at Aquariums Alive, I am putting her in for an epsom salts bath. See if she will pop em out.

The yellow one is still swimming around happily, but it is avoiding food when I feed them.

Thanks

Uh oh....guppies not eating = big problem.

Check the temperature and water conditions.

Also, feed them something different and if possible live food. If they eat these, it means they don't like the old food. Believe it or not, guppies do get sick of having the same food over and over again.

From what I have read about pregnant guppies, I have seen that when guppies are near birthing, they tend to hide and avoid food. Is this the case in your experience?

Also, I feed them brine shrimp and blood worms occasionally. I will put up a picture below of this female that isn't swimming...

IMG_0714_s.jpg[/attachment:pc3bvhdz]

she is just floating around on her side like that... her gills still going at least... it's a bit hard to see cos the camera won't pic it up properly...

Yup, that's true. They tend to hide and avoid food when they are close to giving birth. But the longest I've seen this happen is only for 2 days. Most will do this only a few hours beofre giving birth. And some would keep eating regardless!

Might be a good idea not to feed them blackworms too often. Use it as a treat, so that they don't get too spoilt and refuse dry food.

That female in the picture does not look ok. Be prepared for the worst... :(

Yeah I was thinking she was pretty much a goner. And, well it came true. This morning I found her dead as. I chopped open her guts to see if she had babies in there... but, there was this weird bright yellow goo, mixed with blood. Do they normally have bright yellow goo inside their stomachs?

Also, when I found her this morning dead, she had blood up along her tail, but it wasn't on the outside... It was under the skin. Like a bruise or blood blister. And, her left flipper was missing. She was in a little breeding box so none of the other females could attack her.

Thanks

I've never looked into their stomach, so I won't know. Normally I'll just bury the dead ones without any post mortem done :?

I've seen the internal bleeding situation like you've described. Not sure why it happens though. Might be the body condition deteriorating since she hasn't eaten for days?

Haha. I suppose it is a bit strange to chop them open after they are dead. But I thought there might be babies alive in there.

Yeah I have no idea what this internal bleeding along her tail was, but it definately wasn't there yesterday while she was alive. It's getting kind of frustrating. I have had 13 fish, and now I have 4 left (but I have had about 35 born).

I found two baby guppies in their tank lying on the bottom dead this morning too. They looked like they were enclosed in some sort of capsule of fluff... Don't know what it was.

Could be a possibility on them being old stock. Although I have no idea how I would tell other than the shop telling me that (which I doubt they would cos they make money).

Could be fungus, cos there is fluff stuff building up in that tank quite frequently, and I am doing a 50% water change every day.

How do I go about finding out if it is fungus? and then if so, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks

cos there is fluff stuff building up in that tank quite frequently

Could be fungased food...

If you are primarily doing just w.c, without gravel vac, you could be stirring up food that has gone off and fungased - which can then adhere to slimecoats and cause bother.

Give a good vac, including nooks and crannies - then do a 25% w.c.

Doing 50% w.c daily can knock your bacteria around.

If you are getting fungased food - you may be feeding too much.

Whats your filtration like?

Thanks for responses.

I don't actually have any gravel in that tank, so not needing gravel vac.

Filtration in there is a small corner sponge filter attached to aerator.

Could possibly be too much food, although I am only giving a tiny pinch of food for 25-30 babies. Is that too much? Should I be measuring it out in something really small?

You don't really need an exact measurement per se. Just feed them bit by bits rather than pouring everything in at once. That way, there is a smaller proportion of food that will manage to sink to the bottom and rot.

Sand is fine if washed (and washed and washed and washed and washed) first.

Don't use a lot - couple of cm's at most.

Sand compacts - run a skewer through it when cleaning.

This loosens it up and stops little toxic pockets forming.

Might be an idea to pop a piece of slate under your sponge filter to stop it clogging up.

If you are planning rocks/dw try & place them on glass bottom & fill around them

Sand looks great though. ;)

(Although if you've got any bn's- can look crap due to all their crap :roll: )

Find out why you are getting all the floating fungus?

Not as yet on the floating fungus. Although I think that your suggestion of too much food may be it. Because it first started when I put in some sinking protein pellet things. Then the next day the pellets were on the floor and all fluffy. So I will give ultra tiny pinches off food multiple times a day to make sure that not much ends up getting to the bottom.

This tank that I am putting sand in the bottom is a different tank, 2 footer, with a few large rocks in it. It has two filters in it: one corner sponge filter, and one wall hanging power filter. It also has the snakey under water bubbler tube thing (flexible airstone?? not sure what it is called).

I have rinsed the sand ultra thoroughly, but it is still giving off a cloudy look into the water. Is this just that it needs to settle to the bottom?

Thanks

Could be - wash it a few more times just to be sure - I know, I know - but your effort will be rewarded when your water is

crystal clear afterwards, instead of cloudy for a week.

I suggest fill a bucket 2/5 and then wash/rinse the heck out of it.

Repeat the process...ad nauseum ;)

I cheated though - my lovely man did it for me :soppy:

Haha. Lucky you. I have left it in the tank overnight with no fish in there and filters on, and this morning it is a bit clearer, but still a little bit cloudy. I have decided that it doesn't really bother me if it is cloudy for a week, but will it harm the fish?

I have 1 adult male guppy in there, 11 baby guppies, and 2 albino corydoras.

Thanks