trk18

Bad festae doing the rounds

Hey all

Just a quick warning about some deformed festae getting around ,

Bought a young pair about 4 months back only to find when I got them home & had a better look the girls head was bent so she looked left lol didn't think much of it until I checked a group out that I have been growing out they would of been around the same age as The other girl from the pair & out of the 3 girls another one with a bent head same as before was told the group I bought was a mix & I tend to believe that as the others are all fine. Saw another the same the other day aswell so I'm thinking there's a batch doing the rounds that isn't that crash hot ! Just have a good look before handing over any $$$ the fish I'm talking about were all around 10-14cm

Note - not pointing the finger at anyone just thought I would pass on what I have seen

Cheers

Trev :(

There's a big male forsale on the coast with a very deformed head, and has the short dorsal fin too, has been bred recently but girl was lost.

What do you guys reckon...I think fish like this should have been culled a long time ago...I know some people keep them just to breed from them but if your asking me I reckon the genetics are already saying ISSUES which you'd want to avoid...

Don't jump to conclusions re the bent body fish as to wher it originates from. It could have skipped a couple of generations but I'm lost as to why these are appearing now. I had about 20 or so that I was growing out from perfectly good stock...........the juvies were perfect on moving to another tank. About 2 weeks later, 2 of them had bent bodies and I culled 'em. A couple of weeks later, another one had a bent body. They definitely weren't bent on sorting and I'm buggered if I know what caused it, I was assuming "net frame damage' as they herded into a corner when being caught. Now I'm not so sure what the problem is on hearing this.

Don't jump to conclusions re the bent body fish as to wher it originates from. It could have skipped a couple of generations but I'm lost as to why these are appearing now. I had about 20 or so that I was growing out from perfectly good stock...........the juvies were perfect on moving to another tank. About 2 weeks later, 2 of them had bent bodies and I culled 'em. A couple of weeks later, another one had a bent body. They definitely weren't bent on sorting and I'm buggered if I know what caused it, I was assuming "net frame damage' as they herded into a corner when being caught. Now I'm not so sure what the problem is on hearing this.

I was thinking the same way as u keV ! Till I saw the third fish in as many weeks around the same size with the same bent head ? Buggers me mate just don't want anyone doing there hard earnt $$ lol

The gene pool on Festaes wouldn't be huge??

However Kev has a point (I think, maybe ) also I have found that different water conditions can cause deformities, not festaes but I recall growing trets in a pond outside that turned out deformed where as their siblings inside in correct water where fine. Just a thought.