first things first my ph- using rain water so thinking should be nuetral

tested rain tank itself which was around 6.6

tested rain water tap which was around 7 which id still be happy with

but then testing tank water gives me a reading of 7.6 not so good...

in the tank using black sand over DIY c02 substrate- prop sand b&b and marble chips- know that the marble chips may rise the ph but didnt think that much.

want to keep rams angels tetras so would like the ph top be around 7. so what can i do to lower the reading? rather not add anything and keep varying the reading so any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

test kit is brand new masters kit

cheers jacob

post-2937-14711627254345_thumb.jpg

post-2937-14711627254792_thumb.jpg

with the marble chips in there you will fighting a loosing battle trying to lower the pH.

7.6 is not that far off neutral, your rams and angels should still be ok, unless they are wild caught.

for most softwater fish the conductivity/TDS is actually more important than an exact pH.

if you have enough DW in there this should help stabilize the pH where it is at the moment.

also is it a gal tank your rain water is coming from? ... people tend to cement the inside of tanks if they leak which adds lime.... sorry... misread its from the tank that you have issues and that has been resolved :)

Edited by Karen

The diff between ph 7 neutral and ph7.6 is huge thats why you dont change ph more than .2 at a time .Large change in ph in short period of time will result in ph shock .

To reduce the ph in your tank many things need to be sorted eg what substrait what rocks what other furnishings ......

Also as said specs on water tank will help.

Wood leef litter and peat will help soften the water and add tanic acids and help reduce ph.

Tds and ph are better to be stable and a bit out than fluctuate large degrees as this will add to unnessasery stress on fish.

There are some very good people on here that will leed you in the right direction once more info is provided.

Thanks guys, water tank itself is metal and less than a year old, although roof is tiled. Substrate as stated is DIY c02 mix prop sand blood and bone marble chips then topped with black sand. Only objects in the tank is a large bit of dw 3 fake plastic rocks and mildly planted. Currently tank is stable and haven't done a thing to change it besides waterchanges. I don't want a fluctuating ph as I said so buffers or regulaters I'd prefer to stay away from. I also don't get how the water tank and the tap, which is less than two metres away varies?? House is less than 2 years old so all PVC fittings.

Any and all help is really appreciated, cheers jacob

Hi Jacob, it would also be good to know your Kh and Gh. Being rainwater at a guess would have a low Kh and a low Gh and it has a low buffering capacity which would be why it is swinging as much as it is. I find by adding tap water to my rain water helps buffer it and does not swing as much.

i took a sample to aqariums alive on monday maybe?? anyway as i didnt have a gh or kh testing kit asked the young bloke (toby?) to test. told him i was using rainwater so he was excepting all to be low (ph, kh, gh) and he too like me found the ph up, but said that the kh and gh were low (didnt actually get results tho).

i used to add rain and tap water to my old ram tank so that could be an option but still need to get it down first. (tap water is actually pretty good around 7.2)

was thinking of removing the marble, but then that takes away half the purpose of the substrate and wouldnt be easy to do..

cheers jacob

im no expert but i keep 6 blue rams

congo tetra

black widows

white tipped tetras lemon tetras and neons

all in with my discus and black knife..

mate i have my ph so steady and maintains 6.5-6.7

i find the water great all fish full of colour and happy as larry

40% change every fortnight ..

probably have 16-18 plants in there and three large peices of wood one of which is grapevine..

water temp around28-30 degrees

average brown nothing special gravel..

rams love the conditions

and an aqua one 2700uvc filter with some carbon..

4x2x2 ... i was told to keep use phosphate free buffers and to be honest i noticed it was alot steadier...

I just use tap water and I jus checked it's about 7.2

I just use seachem buffer and Sera biological liquid bacteria ...

Worth it's weight in gold makes the water cloudy for around 24hours then crystal clear

I got it because I got hazy water from ammonia spikes ..

Stick to 20% One week 40% the next week until you finish the bottle then just 40% a fortnight ..

Also I have a few logs and plants to keep the water soft

yeah mate i use seachem buffer and rate it .. my ph entering is around 7.2

get some prime aswell ...i know seachem do a good one but ive only used sera liquid biological bacteria ...with some carbon and it makes for a reallly clean clear and steacy tank