goldenswimmers

Frontosa with Calvus and Comps.....

Sure a few people have tried this combo and just want to hear thoughts...things to watch out for etc...have a little colony of kigomas Im growing up....10 guys and all around 4cm mark.....and also have 3 goldhead comps...who are about 7-10cm...these guys are both in seperate tanks....and was just wondering how they get along in a community...they are both slightly aggressive amongst themselves in their own ways :) but wonder how it would be setting up a decent sized tank(most likely a 4 x 2 at this stage for the little fronnies) with a "dedicated" cave area for the comps....if these comps are too big for the smaller fronnies...my other option is just add a group of some smaller basic gold comps which are around the 3cm mark...where are you tang lovers..share your experience :)

couple of snaps of the guys

SAM_6077.jpg

SAM_6053.jpg

Edited by goldenswimmers

hey bud,

they all get on good as long as they have there own places to hide until the frontosa get big, then the other smaller tank mates start looking like yummy kfc finger licking good.

cheer's johno.

nice...I kind of thought this might be the case...once the fronnies are bigger they are getting moved along anyways so would do this before they could start wondering :)...was just curious to see if the bigger comps(at the moment) would make life tough for the younger and smaller fronnies...

sounds like it will be fine...but the fronnies are 1/3rd the size of the ones you mention haku...they'd be half the size of the comps...

I find to keep your tangs working well together replicate their natural habitat, of you have a dedicated cave and rocky area your comps will most likely live there as where fronnies will liger around the rocks and the other parts of your tank.

Some people may have a dif opinion but they are from the same lake so technically they can co exist :)

If 4x2x2 10 fronnie and 3 comp are fine by now but once the fronnie grow bigger (fully grow) then you more likely need atlease 5x2x2 or bigger, my 5 kigoma getting along fine with my 3 comp and 1 black calvus but if you want the gold comp to breed then provide some shell or some narrow cave/pot which only the female comp can get in. Good luck

Edited by Supercobwe

yeah I took the gamble(dont think its all that risky...only ask because both fishees are very nice and didnt want to juggle around if it was going to be an issue)...always provide my guys with lots of hidy spots(maybe too many..they hide from me like Im paparazzi) and besides now they both got a different type of fish to look at and "bug out" on...:) ...entertainment value :)