cram

whats a good glass cutter

i,ve used one to cut up left over glass for s**** an i mean a lot of s**** glass, and all so cut a lot of lids for people over the year's as long as you keep it full of oil it will do the job.

ps: if you are going into tank building buy your self good gear from glazier suppliers.

cheer's johno.

Edited by Trigger

i gave info based on what i have done yes i have done 12 mm with good results

so my result ah it works and i kinda think he is not gunna be building 12 ft by 5 by 3 tank so glass size will not be the problem

and getting back to topic he asked for tips and pointer on good cutter for a good price

that is the info i gave

matt

try cut 12mm then give your results

Red devils are some of the best you can get, dunno about the new ones tho. I have an old devil cutter and its all I use for heavyweight. Blunter the better for 10+. An old cutter, plenty of oil and alot of pressure and you will get mintest cuts possibe even with 19-21.

Red devils are some of the best you can get, dunno about the new ones tho. I have an old devil cutter and its all I use for heavyweight. Blunter the better for 10+. An old cutter, plenty of oil and alot of pressure and you will get mintest cuts possibe even with 19-21.

could not put it better myself

I found a red devil cutter on e-bay for a few dollars. Should turn up in th enext day or two.

Most don't have brand names so you don't know what you're getting. They are maybe as good - who knows?

Did toss up between oil filled vs oil dip - and went with oil dip for simplicity and the fact that I'm not going to be cutting glass on a daily basis (have read on numerous web posts that often they leak and you end up with an oily rag on your work bench...I have no idea if this is the case or not as I've never used one.)

Its only to have a play around, learn and maybe cut some lids - if anyone want to give lessons/hints I'm all ears.

If its something that works for me, I'll take it a bit further...

now, what do you guys use for cutting oil?

none, kero, wd40, proper cutting fluid? I've read about all of them....

I found a red devil cutter on e-bay for a few dollars. Should turn up in th enext day or two.

Most don't have brand names so you don't know what you're getting. They are maybe as good - who knows?

Did toss up between oil filled vs oil dip - and went with oil dip for simplicity and the fact that I'm not going to be cutting glass on a daily basis (have read on numerous web posts that often they leak and you end up with an oily rag on your work bench...I have no idea if this is the case or not as I've never used one.)

Its only to have a play around, learn and maybe cut some lids - if anyone want to give lessons/hints I'm all ears.

If its something that works for me, I'll take it a bit further...

now, what do you guys use for cutting oil?

none, kero, wd40, proper cutting fluid? I've read about all of them....

Yeah they do leak alot, I never fill mine and don't even use oil for 6 and under just the occasional dip here and there. As for oil a spray of wd40 will be fine but for 10+ you want to run a bead the whole way down the straight edge. The oil used can be basically any oil. I've been at places where they swear by auto gearbox oil mixed with kero mixed at a 10 : 1 ratio to other places that just use inox. I have never noticed a difference it's all about the cut and how you break it. To cut it just run your cutter down the straight edge with about medium pressure (use a spay of wd for a new cutter) then snap it over an edge if the piece your cutting is big enough. If it's not big enough to snap like 50mm just use the ball on your cutter and give the glass a tap at the start of the cut. No need to be really gentle with it just don't hit super hard. Once theres a start in it use your hand to twist the glass down and if your cut was done right it will just run down your cut and pop off. Once your used to cutting you won't need to tap it, you can just snap it with your hand. Watch a few you tube vids they will give you a pretty good idea of how its done. Also you probably know this but despite what anyone says you cannont cut/drill toughened. Amazes me how many people think you can if its just done "carefully" or using "a special technique" idiots lol

Edited by Door