chipper

Heating up a new tank

Hi all

I have just setup a 6x2x2 tank and i an using a Jager 300 watt heat in the tank, i was wondering how long the heat should take to heat the tank up? the heater has been on for almost 24 hrs so far. Oh i am in Melbourne.

Also i am running a Fluval FX5, the way i have it set up is i have both the inlet and out let at one end with the outlet facing the opposite end of the tank, i have put the heater just in front of the outlet as too circulate the heat from the heat

Do you see any issues?

Mate boil the jug a few times and stick that in or hose from hot tap

I tee the washing machine taps and water change that way in winter

I have big tanks and like to do big WC and don't like giving them WS

Can't see a problem with what you have done I have a tank the same

FJ

i'm confused........... did i miss something, nobody has really answered his question,

how long the heat should take to heat the tank up

it shouldn't take any longer then 24 hours, and 1 x 300w jag heater will be ok for that sized tank,

i have put the heater just in front of the outlet as too circulate the heat from the heat

yep that should be ok, or maybe just a little bit further away from the outlet,

chipper what is the temperature of the room the tank is located in? Also depends on the temperature of the water that you fill the tank with. It shouldn't take longer then 24 hours as steveandjules said.

It might pay to purchase a thermometer to monitor the tanks temperature. They are fairly cheap and are more accurate then the heaters settings.

Hi all

I have just setup a 6x2x2 tank and i an using a Jager 300 watt heat in the tank, i was wondering how long the heat should take to heat the tank up? the heater has been on for almost 24 hrs so far. Oh i am in Melbourne.

Also i am running a Fluval FX5, the way i have it set up is i have both the inlet and out let at one end with the outlet facing the opposite end of the tank, i have put the heater just in front of the outlet as too circulate the heat from the heat

Do you see any issues?

300w Jagers do up to 1000ltr tanks. My old 6x2x2 had just one and never had a problem. Had 29c water all the time. People will tell you to do this and do that and get all

Complicated. It would be pointless to have 2 heaters in a 6x2x2.

It does depend on the ambient temperature the tank itself and how well it holds the heat and it does pay to check your heater as I have had a couple of issues with the Jaggers of late where the whole top would spin, issues with calibration, overheat and underheat situations so also try it in a rockcoat bucket and make sure the thermostat is working properly too. I do not think they are as solid as the old ones.

I would not consider it pointless having 2 heaters in a tank as if one fails the other one can keep your fish alive you just have the second one at a couple of degrees lower than that of the first that way it is only running the thermostat unless the other one fails.

300w Jagers do up to 1000ltr tanks. My old 6x2x2 had just one and never had a problem. Had 29c water all the time. People will tell you to do this and do that and get all

Complicated. It would be pointless to have 2 heaters in a 6x2x2.

haku its not as simple as that unfortunately, some tanks definitly require 2 x 300 watt heaters. Its much easier to keep a tank at temperature if you live in the warmer parts of queensland, and have the tank inside your well insulated house. 1000 litres is only a guideline for a 300 watt jager heater. There are many other factors to take into account to determine the tanks heating requirements. Fish Junkie has mentioned some of those factors above.

chipper what is the temperature of the room the tank is located in? Also depends on the temperature of the water that you fill the tank with. It shouldn't take longer then 24 hours as steveandjules said.

It might pay to purchase a thermometer to monitor the tanks temperature. They are fairly cheap and are more accurate then the heaters settings.

Thanks for everyones responses ,

The Heater was turned on, on Thursday night about 7pm and is still going, the tank is at 24c and i have it set too 26c

Baz the tank is in our open study area, overnight the house will get down to about 13c

Has the tank got lids

Is it in a shed or near a window

Check the heater just cause the lights on don't mean it's working

What's the heater set at

We're all trying to help mate let us know what's going on

FJ

Hi FJ

The tank has cover lids,and is next too a window but the windows has timber blinds so i would hope they will slightly act like an insulator

The heater is set at 26c and the tank is currently at 24c

i'm confused........... did i miss something, nobody has really answered his question,

it shouldn't take any longer then 24 hours, and 1 x 300w jag heater will be ok for that sized tank,

yep that should be ok, or maybe just a little bit further away from the outlet,

Hi Steve yeah the heater has now been going for over 36 hours damn my power bill is gunna be a killer

At 13 degrees ambient it may be on often, but when the room temperature gets around 20c it should barely be on. If the temperature drops any lower then 10 degress at night I would put a second heater in there just so the fish dont get stressed out due to temperature drop. It could also be faulty. Still running now?

Pop a thermometer in it and see if you can get a read of it like every 4 hours - no need to wake up to check the thermometer but it might be where the ambient temp of 13% is winning the battle over the heater and might take a while to get that gain back and to see when the drops in temp are and for how long and how much of a drop. Probably one thing you could do is get some styro foam and silicon it to the back and sides where there there is no viewing as it will help insulate and hold the temps a bit. Might want to get a hood for your tank too.

Does anyone know the specs on the Jagger as in does anyone know when the thermostat kicks in? Is it one degree lower or 2 degrees??

Yeah, just put your hand on it. The heater I mean..... You'll soon work out whether it's working or not. As the other guys have stated, the thermostats really aren't all that accurate so heater at 26 and tank at 24 might be it. As I said, put your hand on it, if' it's not warm, turn the thermostat up. You should actually feel a click when it cuts in. I also would run 2 heaters as insurance. I've been lead to believe that you should work on 1 watt/litre when heating. My fish spent last winter on an open veranda where the morning temps sometimes made minus 6. I was running 2 watts/litre. I even had 3 watts/litre in my Discus tank to maintain 30 degrees. It would sometimes be down to 28 in the morning if there was a breeze at night. Lesson from this is the difference between ambient and the temp you want in your tank plays a roll. Good luck

At 13 degrees ambient it may be on often, but when the room temperature gets around 20c it should barely be on. If the temperature drops any lower then 10 degress at night I would put a second heater in there just so the fish dont get stressed out due to temperature drop. It could also be faulty. Still running now?

Hi Bazz, i noticed it reached temp last night about 11pm and the heater turned off but didnt take long to come back on again,this morning its been on a fair amount

Pop a thermometer in it and see if you can get a read of it like every 4 hours - no need to wake up to check the thermometer but it might be where the ambient temp of 13% is winning the battle over the heater and might take a while to get that gain back and to see when the drops in temp are and for how long and how much of a drop. Probably one thing you could do is get some styro foam and silicon it to the back and sides where there there is no viewing as it will help insulate and hold the temps a bit. Might want to get a hood for your tank too.

Does anyone know the specs on the Jagger as in does anyone know when the thermostat kicks in? Is it one degree lower or 2 degrees??

Hi Tech, the Jager is set too 26c but seems to heat too 27c and turn off and falls too 25c and comes on

Funny you should mention the foam, i grabbed a piece yesterday and will be sticking it too the back, i am jump painting a hood as we speak that should be on be Tuesday

Why does it take 2 days to work out if a heater is working properly should take 30 mins

Put the heater in a stack box or similar just cover with water jug of hot water and thermometer set the heater see if

it turns off at temp and it's hot to touch

FJ

Hi Fj i will be trying this tomorrow, thank you

Yeah, just put your hand on it. The heater I mean..... You'll soon work out whether it's working or not. As the other guys have stated, the thermostats really aren't all that accurate so heater at 26 and tank at 24 might be it. As I said, put your hand on it, if' it's not warm, turn the thermostat up. You should actually feel a click when it cuts in. I also would run 2 heaters as insurance. I've been lead to believe that you should work on 1 watt/litre when heating. My fish spent last winter on an open veranda where the morning temps sometimes made minus 6. I was running 2 watts/litre. I even had 3 watts/litre in my Discus tank to maintain 30 degrees. It would sometimes be down to 28 in the morning if there was a breeze at night. Lesson from this is the difference between ambient and the temp you want in your tank plays a roll. Good luck

I think a second heater will be a go as you mentioned for security purposes