Not sure if I'm spelling it right...stendker?

I was at world for pets the RSPCA shop in underwood across the motorway from springwood and they had a sign in the fish section saying they are getting stendker discus soon.. I have heard people on here saying they are great quality so just thought some people on here might be interested:)

Hey matt I just got some stendkers from sydney and they are amazing check out critique section on discus forums under my misses name duckess , but on the other hand Ive seen many so called stendkers that I consider questionable I don't think it's a case of them being great quality just because of their name anyone can say that their fish is a stendker , if it's a quality fish I don't care what it's called

Don't be fooled by a name, i have see both good and very poor fish selling under the name Stenker, weather they were Stenkers or not I'm not sure but i have heard that a true Stenker will come with a certificate of authenticity.

I have also seen a lot of Discus come from unknown back yard breeders that are just as good and in some cases better than Stenker and cost quarter the price.

If your looking to buy a true A grade or better imported Discus you will be looking at $1500 +, and I'm told this quality of fish would win any show entered here in Australia hands down.

i hate the term 'quality' when talking about line bred fish, in the fish world high quality can mean highly inbred, which to me is poor quality, we're talking about animals here people, not crafted goods

but then again maybe these world renowned breeders are so well known because not only are their fish 'quality' in appearance but also in vitality

just my 2 cents

Imported Stendker Discus are ONLY available throu one source in Australia and that is AI,

AI is the only company in Australia who own the rights to import Stendker Discus from Stendker Discus in Germany.

All of AI imported Stendker discus are hand picked and are of the highest quality.

Of course people can breed the stendker discus which means quality (from not culling bad stock) can be around the fish stores.

Stendker Discus do not come with a certificate, but im sure AI would happily confirm that they are true imported Stendker

I think it would be the responsibility of the store no matter which one it is, to confirm if the fish were bred in Australia from Stendker discus or if they are imported from Stendker.

No one would be foolish enough to advertise imported stendker if they were not the real thing.

A imported 9cm normal pigeon blood stendker is worth well over $150 so you can tell by the price.

If you have a question, talk to the store manager im sure they could assist you

Imported Stendker Discus are ONLY available throu one source in Australia and that is AI,

AI is the only company in Australia who own the rights to import Stendker Discus from Stendker Discus in Germany.

All of AI imported Stendker discus are hand picked and are of the highest quality.

Of course people can breed the stendker discus which means quality (from not culling bad stock) can be around the fish stores.

Stendker Discus do not come with a certificate, but im sure AI would happily confirm that they are true imported Stendker

I think it would be the responsibility of the store no matter which one it is, to confirm if the fish were bred in Australia from Stendker discus or if they are imported from Stendker.

No one would be foolish enough to advertise imported stendker if they were not the real thing.

A imported 9cm normal pigeon blood stendker is worth well over $150 so you can tell by the price.

If you have a question, talk to the store manager im sure they could assist you

Thats not correct that AI are the only importers of Stenkers, without naming names if you have a search you will find that there are a few importers bringing them in.

On the web site they only mention AI as the dealer for Australia but maybe they have broaden the supply to others and just not listed them on the web site. Be interesting if AI are the only ones yet some are coming in as Stendker by other suppliers. Hmmmm I guess there will be some questions now when you buy them and they are not coming in from AI?? Do you take their word for it and are you getting the deal you think you are.

A quick call to AI and they said that they are the only authorised importer of Stendker in Australia. They also don't import little ones. So if someone is trying to sell you a 5cm Stendker, its not from AI. You can also check online at the Stendker.de site (the have one in English) and if the fish you want doesnt match the description of what you are being sold - or it doesn't exist (for example Stendker doesn't have a fish named "red valentine") then you are aware of it if you decide to buy that particular fish.

Its silly to have an argument on this. If you want to spend your money, then do so. If you don't pass it up for something that suits your fancy and your budget. People sneer at the Jack Wattley's in America too, some swear on them. Its all about what you want in your tank.

I will say for AI though, after the fish is released from quarantine and into the discus facility - there it stays until it perfect to send. If its stressed from travel and qtine they don't send it. Stendkers should be fat, bright and healthy - and like anything that is bred nicely - should make you stop and go "oh nice fish".

Yup - I love me a Heckel's! My showpiece is *EGADS* a Heckel x Turq - even in his resting colours he is an electric blue and red with those dark Heckel slashes. He is not however perfectly round and is a little high-finned. I got two of them in and one was so perfect - One of our members got him I think there are some pictures of that one in his tank.

Short story - buy what you like.

Sent an email off to Stendker on the week end to help clear up for members, should they have any concerns and they were nice enough to reply and in English.

Hello John,

many thanks for your interest in our discus fish!

Aqarium Industries is the only one in Australia who can import our

discus fish, they are our sole trader. Please visit their hompeage

Aquarium Industries - Quality Fish from a Trusted Source, you can find a point "Where to

Buy" there. Aquarium Industries show all their customers who bought our

fish so that you can be sure that they are ours.

If you are still not sure about their true origin, you can doublecheck

with Aquarium Industries. They will be happy to help you to find our

discus fish!

Best regards,

Sandra Kettler

--

Diskuszucht Stendker GmbH & Co KG

Am Holzbach 18

48231 Warendorf

Tel. 02581 60627

Fax 02581 633205

Diskuszucht Stendker.de & Diskus-Stendker.deHome

Not saying that it is impossible, it is just saying that AI is the sole importer from themand it just means that it would be harder for the average member to get the confirmation if it was not through AI as it would be from the seller back to quarantine importer back to exporter and exporter unless there is another in the mix to Stendker. It would be harder to find the exporter and get the confirmation plus it puts in the possibility that somewhere along that track someone perhaps may not be telling the truth. AI would just give members less risk and more direct.

Its fine if you are in the know or the importer and have the contacts you may be able to go that way and trust the sources that it passes but not everyone is in the know and at least people know and can ask the question and know how to find the answers if they are unsure.

Oh while I think of it you mentioned to me that there was a good site where you could get your discus graded so if you wanted to know just how good your discus are, perhaps you could share that with members too which would help them when it comes to selling them and help them with what makes a good discus to begin with too.

I appreciate the restraint some people are showing in this thread.

I have not seen any of the importers, and have no special knowledge about discus, however I would like to highlight something.

Like so many objects, when a name gets attached to value it is more liable to abuse. Ripoffs can and do occur. It may not be an intentional ripoff, for example if you breed two Stendker Discus are the young still Stendker? I ask the question as you often find german bred fish mean that the parents came from germany and they were then bred in asia,or elsewhere.

I kinda suspect that some of the fish seen under the name may be in that situation.

I still like my german bred stock, but also do look over the fish for quality. I suspect that it is the same with the Stendker name, and it may be beneficial to have some of the experts who have commented on the quality of discus to provide us with some pointers as to what to look for to identify quality, be it a Stenker, german import or local breeder.

I appreciate the restraint some people are showing in this thread.

I have not seen any of the importers, and have no special knowledge about discus, however I would like to highlight something.

Like so many objects, when a name gets attached to value it is more liable to abuse. Ripoffs can and do occur. It may not be an intentional ripoff, for example if you breed two Stendker Discus are the young still Stendker? I ask the question as you often find german bred fish mean that the parents came from germany and they were then bred in asia,or elsewhere.

I kinda suspect that some of the fish seen under the name may be in that situation.

I still like my german bred stock, but also do look over the fish for quality. I suspect that it is the same with the Stendker name, and it may be beneficial to have some of the experts who have commented on the quality of discus to provide us with some pointers as to what to look for to identify quality, be it a Stenker, german import or local breeder.

I would think that an offspring from a Stenker shouldn't be called a Stenker if it's not breed from the company, These big breeder get a name for there fish not because every fry they produce is of high quality but cull hard and only keep the best of all batches, someone that owns a pair of big name discus probably wouldn't cull the same, keeping maybe only 5 out of a couple hundred fry wouldn't be profitable for them.

I guess because this is done at times it's how confusion comes about.

Southfish, i don't think anyone is saying that Stenkers are all bad, just that like all breeder there are good and bad in every batch they produce and it has been said a number of time that they do dump there seconds on us, in saying that they do have some very nice fish, but are they really any better than whats breed here ? or do people pay big dollars for them because of the name ? and like Rex said they don't c&%$ gold nuggets.

John , for anyone looking to get there discus graded they can put photos up on simplydiscus and title it grade my fish, but be warned there very honest and hard, i have seen nice looking fish go up with the owner/breeder thinking they are of high quality and the hard truth was they were less than average and the owner not happy with the score.

I was in ore of some of the Discus that were at NaQ 2011 - Winner Fish Discus Contest and I could not understand how there were prizes for wild caught? How do you win a prize for Wild Caught??

I pay big bucks for a little pretty catty that hides and can see why some of these go for big money and understand why people would pay it especially seeing they do not hide....lol

If you had a Stendker pair that breed would the fry not be F1 Stendker??