Raybin

Mysis shrimp culture

space tanks whatever else is not a prob.

this method doesn't seem to require a "massive lake" seahorse.org - Raising Mysid Shrimp as a Home Aquarium Food

had considered cherry shrimp but dont want to fork out excessive amounts of money for enough to fill my massive lake :) or enough that they are producing large numbers of harvestable babies and prefer a marine species as being fed to marine inverts

might give the cherry's a go if I can get them at a decent price. Any other suggestions for feeding pygmy squid??? :) and yes they do take the cherry shrimp

Edited by Raybin

I would open the phone book and look thru the aquaculture places. Will take a few calls, but I am sure you will eventually get put on the right track. There will be some hatchery or uni....... or maybe even a magnetic island. But someone will have something for you.

Just keep in mind, mysis in the trade are usually wild caught in freshwater.

I would open the phone book and look thru the aquaculture places. Will take a few calls, but I am sure you will eventually get put on the right track. There will be some hatchery or uni....... or maybe even a magnetic island. But someone will have something for you.

Just keep in mind, mysis in the trade are usually wild caught in freshwater.

Is that right,they are a freshwater invert?

Thanks for that.

I have only bought them three times in my time with in the hobby, I rarely buy anything a part the fundamentals.

When I read freshwater, I was a little concerned as freshwater creatures are not conducive to marine life due to the different forms of bacteria that exists with in them if used as feeder types over a length of time.

Of course of I have only found this with feeding marine predator fish with freshwater fish in the past, still,thanks for the reply.

Is that right,they are a freshwater invert?
Mysis is a genus of mysid crustaceans in the family Mysidae, distributed mainly in the coastal zone of the Arctic and high boreal seas. There are also several species that inhabit northern freshwater lakes and the brackish Caspian Sea. Sixteen species are known. Body lengths range from 1 to 3 centimetres (0.4 to 1.2 in).

Australian Mysidacea

More interested in culturing much smaller inverts myself, but if it is any help there is a filter feeding Mysid approx. 7mm adult length that is common in the large brackish man made lakes on the gold coast, see big blooms of them in summer.

No idea of the species.

Edited by Sclero p